Info Ben Siegel Troubles - Page 13 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:42 PM   #121
Xaila
I wouldn't necessarily write off Ben Siegel Reptiles, the business, due to the issues going on with Ben Siegel, the man. From what I understand he's had very competent people mostly running things for some time now.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:01 AM   #122
Chris Kennard
I dealt with Ben in the early 2000s. Perfect animals, perfect transactions. He has a problem that is confusing and hard to come to terms with. I get it and feel sorrow for his affliction. Jails won't, and can't help him. Support from People who knew him when he was stable can. Anyone who judges Ben based on this thread, never dealt with him. I don't know him personally, but he was good to me years ago and that is how I view him. Sorry to those who have had bad experiences due o his illness. While you don't deserve being mistreated, neither does he.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:45 AM   #123
Big Time Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kennard View Post
I dealt with Ben in the early 2000s. Perfect animals, perfect transactions. He has a problem that is confusing and hard to come to terms with. I get it and feel sorrow for his affliction. Jails won't, and can't help him. Support from People who knew him when he was stable can. Anyone who judges Ben based on this thread, never dealt with him. I don't know him personally, but he was good to me years ago and that is how I view him. Sorry to those who have had bad experiences due o his illness. While you don't deserve being mistreated, neither does he.

DITTO!

Lynn Peterson
Big Time Reptiles

Old 01-18-2015, 09:36 AM   #124
Casey Hulse
Excellent post Chris. Ben Has always treated me fairly, been great to talk to and from what I could tell was a very respected member of this community. I wish him the best, and I hope he has people around him that will be a positive influence on him in the future.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:33 PM   #125
RachelSS
This is probably going to be a polarizing post but I think it needs to be said.

I have done business with Ben in the past and he was a great guy. He answered my questions, I met him at a couple reptile shows and he knew exactly who I was and shook my hand and was a very, very nice guy.

After reading this thread it's deplorable that people are adding their two cents on his mental state without having done business with him, and it's even worse that moderators are allowing this. This should not be a discussion for people trying to diagnose Ben and guess at what should happen to him legally.

Solely speaking from a business standpoint, he was great every time I reached out to him. I am sad to see his name in the news with a negative connotation to it and I wish other people had had a chance to meet him previously and interact with someone as you could tell this was a huge passion for him.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:03 PM   #126
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelSS View Post
This is probably going to be a polarizing post but I think it needs to be said.

I have done business with Ben in the past and he was a great guy. He answered my questions, I met him at a couple reptile shows and he knew exactly who I was and shook my hand and was a very, very nice guy.

After reading this thread it's deplorable that people are adding their two cents on his mental state without having done business with him, and it's even worse that moderators are allowing this. This should not be a discussion for people trying to diagnose Ben and guess at what should happen to him legally.

Solely speaking from a business standpoint, he was great every time I reached out to him. I am sad to see his name in the news with a negative connotation to it and I wish other people had had a chance to meet him previously and interact with someone as you could tell this was a huge passion for him.
If you want some sort of nanny state website to filter things and decide what is and is not suitable for your tender eyes to read, then sorry to say that THIS site is not what you are looking for.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:29 PM   #127
Lucille
Quote:
people are adding their two cents on his mental state without having done business with him
There are some members here with professional expertise in the psychiatric field. Their opinion may have as much, maybe more, insight than those who purchased a reptile from him. This is a community, and many here have thoughts on the situation.
Out of dialogue, sharing thoughts and opinions, may come some understanding.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:43 PM   #128
RachelSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
If you want some sort of nanny state website to filter things and decide what is and is not suitable for your tender eyes to read, then sorry to say that THIS site is not what you are looking for.
How about talking about his business instead of a thread trying to diagnose someone? There's more banter about all these "professionals" wanting to slap a label on someone who was otherwise a solid guy.

If you're going to apply the rules, apply them across the board. Tell people to keep this about his business and not about what they think his jail time should be.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:45 PM   #129
RachelSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
There are some members here with professional expertise in the psychiatric field. Their opinion may have as much, maybe more, insight than those who purchased a reptile from him. This is a community, and many here have thoughts on the situation.
Out of dialogue, sharing thoughts and opinions, may come some understanding.
As someone working in the medical field, I can assure you it is INCREDIBLY bad taste for anyone to label, diagnose or assume things about a person without any sort of prior history or medical background. It's horribly unprofessional and is in no way, shape, or form a justification to provide background on someone they have never met nor treated.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:51 PM   #130
Robert Walker
Quote:
After reading this thread it's deplorable that people are adding their two cents on his mental state without having done business with him, and it's even worse that moderators are allowing this.
Speaking solely for myself, I'm trying to decide what exactly that makes me, since I appear to be worse than deplorable for having not silenced everyone's opinions some how. Which side of the aisle should we have silenced? Their side? Your side? All sides? Your statement seems to imply some lack of effort on our part, as if a blind eye is being turned to a crime.

Let me add a little perspective on how deplorable the moderators are. Speaking for myself, I put in several hours each day "volunteering" on Fauna for everyone's behalf, yes volunteering. There are over 100 forums to review, thousands of threads and classifieds with new ones started every hour, new account registrations to review, dozens of PMs, reported posts to look at, etc.

Excuse me while I go tell my wife, kids, job, church service, boy scouts troop, etc. that I need to spend every waking hour of my life reviewing every post that appears because I can't stand the thought of being labeled worse than deplorable. The real work of what moderators do is unseen to 99% of the users at any given moment. For example, for every spammer or scammer that makes it on this site, another dozen were stopped from doing damage on here, all oblivious to most users.

Here are some stats in case it slipped your mind, and then consider there are 6 mods and one site admin.
Members: 99,633
Threads: 255,104

That is almost 100k people waiting to give their opinion. If a user feels that one of the 1,283,968 posts in some way violates the actual rules of the site, PLEASE, report the post. That red and white triangle is there for you to report posts... you know just in case we decide to sleep, eat or use the restroom and miss something new.

Did you report a post from this thread or were you waiting for one of us to find it ourselves? If there is a post in the thread right at this very moment that violates the rules, please go to it right now and "report" it, if not... I for one, am not the opinion police, unless it breaks the rules. I personally have glanced at this thread, but in no way have I read all the posts. I know nothing on mental health one way or another, and therefore have not posted on this thread regarding it. The success of the site is a collective effort, everyone is welcome to help out rather than point fingers at mods "not" do their perceived jobs.

Thanks for your understanding
- One polarized moderator

P.S. You are welcome for the all the work we do that goes unnoticed.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!