Warning Points System Mod - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 10:07 PM   #1
WebSlave
Warning Points System Mod

OK, since my other thread got way off track concerning the warning points and the point levels each should have, I separated some of the wheat in that thread from the overwhelming bulk of chaff (I think, but I'm not about to wade through that entire thread again), and set up the warning points like this:

This is not set in stone and can be modified at any time the situation seems to warrant it. But generally anyone who might think they are going to run afoul of the rules or anyone thinking about enforcing them, really should review this list as often as they think it is warranted.

Now there is the admin level page for actually setting up this system for various and sundry membership levels to be able to utilize it.

Here's what I have to work with when setting up some of the optionals in this program:

Some of the settings should be pretty self explanatory, but I'll go over a few that aren't quite self evident and are relevant to discussion here. Just bear in mind that these settings CAN be changed on the fly as conditions appear to warrant it.

For reference, you will need to know what the numeric member groups actually stand for:
  • 2 - Registered
  • 5 - Super Moderator
  • 6 - Administrator
  • 7 - Moderator
  • 14 - Contributor
  • 21 - Benefactor
  • 22 - Endowment

• Maximum Ban Limit - This will be the warning point limit that triggers a fine and suspension for the member who accumulates that number of warning points.
  • Banned by Warnings Group - That is the user group that a member is transferred to upon being fined and suspended. That user group basically has zero privileges here.
  • No Warning Usergroups - This is the member group listing of groups that no one can assess warning points for.
  • Can See Warnings Levels - These member groups can view the page showing the warnings and warning levels on the page at the top of this post.
  • Can View Warnings - These member groups can see the warning levels assessed for each member as shown in their user profile page or indicated in the profile section of each post they make.
  • Can Issue Warnings - The default member groups for issuing warning points that is independent of the setting for additional member groups via the switch later on in this page.
  • Fee to pay when suspended - The fine amount due upon getting suspended in order to lift the suspension.
  • Paying Fee Clears Past Warnings? - This setting will clear all current warning points when a member gets suspended. Basically clears the deck for the next round if the member elects to return to this site. ALL warning points are kept in a history file for each member as a reference, which is NOT cleared.
  • Fined User Always Returns to Registered Group? - This setting, if needed, can clear a member's paid memberships if they pay the fine to come back. This is set to OFF, as I couldn't see much utility in this one.
  • Decrease Reputation upon Banning? - Upon being fined and suspended, the suspended member can have negative karma points assessed to their account. Although this doesn't carry much weight with a lot of people, it does provide a bit more incentive to some to take note of the rules and try to avoid getting suspended.
  • Members Issue warnings Hack On? - This is the ON/OFF switch to grant warning system use powers to additional member groups. These member groups are ADDED to the member groups indicated above in the Can Issue Warnings section.
  • Normal Member Usergroups who can issue warnings - This is the listing of member groups that the above setting will enable to be able to use the warning system.
  • Daily Warning click limit for members - Each qualified member can ONLY issue this maximum number of warning points in a 24 hour period. At this point I do not know if it is 24 hours from the first one you warn, or within a 12am to 12pm period of time.
  • Warning member spread - This is the setting to control how many times each member can assess warning points to ANY other member within 24 hours. Same caveat as above....

This system is also set up to allow weighted warnings from any member group who is allowed to issue warning points. At the current time, I kept if very simple. Benefactor members will have a weight of x1 and all others will have a factor of x2.

A member can received multiple warnings for the same offense. In some respects this may not be fair, but in others it may be MORE than fair. "Fairness" just cannot be programmed into this aspect of the system. YOU will have to use your best judgment in such matters if you choose to use this system. You can view anyone's warning point level, including a link to any post receiving a warning point, to determine if YOU choose to issue a duplicate warning point or not. Your choosing to do so will not be considered as abuse.

The date and time scheduled for implementation of this program (effectively just flipping the switch on the option in the admin panel) is HIGH NOON on Sunday, 01/21/07.

This file will be edited as needed when conditions change.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:15 PM   #2
WebSlave
All righty then, I'm game.... I'll open this up for discussion but ONLY about the mechanics of the warning points themselves and the settings. Any posts made about the pros and cons of the system in general, or otherwise getting into a "let's bash Rich" frame of mind will simply be deleted. THIS thread is going to stay on topic.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:21 PM   #3
Jim O
Rich,

Two questions. First, are you going to zero everyone out when the new system starts? And second, approximately how many users are in User Groups 21 and 22?

Old 01-19-2007, 11:21 PM   #4
Wraith
Spam has no place on any site. It should be a much higher number so that they can be dinged to the fullest effect.

Adrian

Old 01-19-2007, 11:26 PM   #5
ravensgait
Just a thought Rich but maybe lower the number of warnings that a person can give out per day... Sort of like the Karma system is now, you have to choose wisely so as not to waste it before you really need it... Randy

Old 01-19-2007, 11:38 PM   #6
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
[*]No Warning Usergroups - This is the member group listing of groups that no one can assess warning points for.
The list or member groups is as follows:
  • 2 - Registered
  • 5 - Super Moderator
  • 6 - Administrator
  • 7 - Moderator
  • 14 - Contributor
  • 21 - Benefactor
  • 22 - Endowment
I may be reading that chunk wrong, but... if no warning points can be assessed to the listed groups, what's left? Unregistered members? Isn't that list covering everyone from those who can come up with a hotmail account and username to your current mod team?

I may just have the wrong terms here, but I thought that "registered" happened with the selection of a login name and the email verification- free members. Then you have your ranks of paying members and your staff... Is the cuttoff really supposed to be where it seems to be?

If my understanding of the named membergroups is correct, then "registered" doesn't belong in there and probably the paying member levels too unless you want them all to be completely immune from being hit for points. I'm not too sure how you've got the moderator system and levels set up, but would "moderator" just be those people who were supposed to generate discussions in some of the underused forums? They supposed to be immune from being hit for points or was that another oversight?

I'm thinking that should probably only be member groups five and six with the immunity from community warnings.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:51 PM   #7
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus Haley
I may be reading that chunk wrong, but... if no warning points can be assessed to the listed groups, what's left? Unregistered members? Isn't that list covering everyone from those who can come up with a hotmail account and username to your current mod team?

I may just have the wrong terms here, but I thought that "registered" happened with the selection of a login name and the email verification- free members. Then you have your ranks of paying members and your staff... Is the cuttoff really supposed to be where it seems to be?

If my understanding of the named membergroups is correct, then "registered" doesn't belong in there and probably the paying member levels too unless you want them all to be completely immune from being hit for points. I'm not too sure how you've got the moderator system and levels set up, but would "moderator" just be those people who were supposed to generate discussions in some of the underused forums? They supposed to be immune from being hit for points or was that another oversight?

I'm thinking that should probably only be member groups five and six with the immunity from community warnings.
Achhh... Poor planning on my part. I knew I needed to put a list of the member groups so people will know what the numbers stand for, and just happened to think of it at that moment. In actuality, you need to refer to the actual screen shot of that admin page to figure out which member groups are in this "protected" status. Sorry about the confusion. I'll edit that section so it makes more sense....

Edit - and for the record there are NO members at the moment in group number 7. The forum moderators are not in a separate member group...

Old 01-19-2007, 11:52 PM   #8
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
Spam has no place on any site. It should be a much higher number so that they can be dinged to the fullest effect.
Adrian
While I do agree with this to the fullest extent in the spirit of the comment, that warning point wasn't really intended for the actual spammers. It was more aimed at members who advertise their products inappropriately or practice shot gun style advertising.
They're spamming in a technical sense, but only because they're posting the same list of reptiles for sale in many different classified or discussion sections.

The real spammers, the ones who register just to post 5 or 6 ads containing a long list of cell phones or whatever are the spammers I believe you are referring to, and they are the ones I loathe with every fiber of my being.
While I personally feel that posting an ad of that nature should carry an instant 500 point warning and ban, the fact is it will be irrelevant in the end because that person (assuming it wasn't just a bot in the first place), never had any intention on returning to this site with that username again anyway, so the ban will be no incentive not to post.

I don't really think that someone who posts the same reptile ad to 5 different sections should be treated with nearly as heavy a hand as the real spammers. While annoying, shotgun style advertising isn't an issue that needs the strictest dicipline.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:57 PM   #9
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim O
Rich,

Two questions. First, are you going to zero everyone out when the new system starts? And second, approximately how many users are in User Groups 21 and 22?
No. Because the level of fine and suspension is so high, any current warning points will be of little consequence to the entire total needed for that event to happen.

I counted up that number the other day. I think it is around 30 to 40 or so in those two groups.

Old 01-20-2007, 12:07 AM   #10
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith

Adrian
That is really an administrative function where someone registers on this site SOLELY to post spam. The procedure is to delete all their spam messages, then either delete their account or ban them, depending on their email address. When possible the email address itself is banned from further registrations.

For the warnings system, this is primarily targeted for those members who might say, post a classified ad in a discussion forum, or something of that nature. They probably just need some guidance with what is acceptable here, which is what the warning system is really for.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread