Warning Points System Mod - Page 16 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 12:00 PM   #151
varnyard
Just so you know Jim, IMO there is a big difference between a ding and just plain dung. Got to draw a line in the sand somewhere, it might as well be there.

I will not be caught in any mob mentality, that was what you were hoping for, correct? Or did I take this statement wrong?

Quote:
Chameleon Company: Appeal to the others to come and administer more dings if it bothers you so much ! Why haven't they evaluated the above exchanges as worthy of the dung heap and worn out their ding buttons ? No balls ? Or they approve ? Does anyone feel that Wes' above posts have merit ? Stand up and be counted as the equally stupid then.
My actions are based on the whole picture, not these few posts above.

JMHO,

Old 01-29-2007, 12:01 PM   #152
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Not going to happen..... I can just walk away from this and leave it on autopilot and just drop on it when it pleases me to do so. At that point, there really would be no downside to me handling it that way at all.
Well... you'd get blamed for whatever the result was but that's going to happen with you paying attention or not, so it's not really a unique downside. A certain subsection of the member base is going to start looking at degrees of seperation and follow anything having to do with the site back to you as having the ultimate responsibility no matter how active or inactive you are. You're the logical final set of shoulders if someone starts following the idea that nothing would be posted on fauna if there were no fauna...

I always felt bad for Dr Frankenstein. All he really did was play with a needle and set up a lightning rod. He didn't actually point his creation at the nearby town and tell it to accidently terrorize the population. Everyone's always so quick to forgive the monster because it was unable to change it's appearance and so quick to crucify the doctor just because his experiment knocked him sideays over a slab, ripped a four inch thick steel bound door off it's frame and got away from him.

Heck... Fauna is even a sort of muted green color (today). If only Igor (It's pronounced "Eyegore") hadn't taken the brainjar labeled "Insane" The brain drives the creature... and as anyone who disagrees with any specific decision is so quick to point out, Fauna is driven by it's members. That's going to change depending on the mood though... when people want something, it's the members who built the site and provided the content, you just supplied the framework. When they don't like how something is going though, it's clearly all your fault, Herr Doctor.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:06 PM   #153
Griz
Jim, I don't disagree with your points. However, to blindly look past one post only to ding another for similiar actions is.....well, you know my thoughts as well. David is going to do as David pleases, no doubt about that. But, his transgressions, if you will, are not going to be overlooked when it comes to various decision that we (the consumer) have to make. It's those simple little bias's that will come back and bite you in the rear. And I will take every opportunity to make that point known when I see bias's PURPOSELY override that which is obvious.

Griz

Old 01-29-2007, 12:07 PM   #154
WebSlave
Yes, I am aware of that. Just as I hope people are aware that if I am going to be dinged no matter what I do, then why should I work at it? Being dinged for doing nothing at all is a WHOLE lot less work for me to do.......

Old 01-29-2007, 12:14 PM   #155
Chameleon Company
Quote:
I will not be caught in any mob mentality, that was what you were hoping for, correct? Or did I take this statement wrong?
You took it wrong Bobby. Regardless of any on-going feud, acts of past stupidity, etc., that may well be part of what defined the "Wild Wild West" laments of others BTW, the new rules and enforcement procedures are just that ....... "New" and with the expressed object to curb the feuds and stupidity. David is not the only deputy. Because he dinged one offender who has tested him, he now has the obligation to ding all ? Nope.

No one is surprised that David was one of the first to ding Wes. Apparently no one is surprised that Wes wants to whine about it either, as I guess Wes is only meeting expectations. The Poobah has reviewed all at this point. I can believe that he is laughing a good one .

Old 01-29-2007, 12:27 PM   #156
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chameleon Company
If there is a "responsibility to being a moderator", then let them all sing with their ding buttons here!
I think... although I'm just tossing my own interpretation out there on this... that the situation is a bit unique in the way some of the new moderators became moderators. Several of them have made statements committing themselves to actively taking on their new role in the sense of working towards the traditional meaning of moderation. Acting to defuse situations when possible, metting out even handed punitive measures when warranted and doing so in a manner that endeavors to avoid personal bias, at least in the application of "punishment" Several members have stated that they don't want to participate and that they are at their current contributor levels for other reasons and wish to avoid the burden associated with voluntarily putting on the mantle of "Moderator"

I think (yes, I meant to say that twice) the idea is that since it's a voluntary action to utilize these powers (for lack of a better word) that the choice to use them SHOULD be accompanied by the mutually inclusive dedication to strive for those ideals of unbiased application of the rules. Obviously the two are not mutually inclusive and one could choose to take up the role and utilize the tools avaliable to them in a vindictive or even agressive manner, the big SHOULD is really more a question of ethical compulsion than anything else.

The perception that's being expressed, and on this I am not offering any personal opinion one way or the other because I simply haven't got enough information to draw a satisfactory conclusion, is that the tool has been utilized specifically because the infraction was personal and the negative interaction longstanding. The reason I have not drawn a conclusion is simply because I have no way of knowing (at least not without exhaustive research that I just don't care enough to undertake) if Dand is excersizing his ability to assign warning points to anyone other than those that he has an antagonistic history with. Thus the question isn't so much about Wes' posts being deserving of points or not (it's pretty clear that Wes is capable of violating the rules when he wants to) but rather the motivation behind the action of punishing them. Were the points assigned because Dand happened to see a post that happened to violate the rules... or were they assigned specifically because he had access to a new way to say "Screw you Wes" and was just waiting for the chance... any chance... to use it?

I'm not even willing to offer an opinion on the validity of the question- does it matter if the motivation was revenge versus a dedication to the social responsibility of moderation if the end result is the same? I can certainly see why people would think it would matter and matter a great deal... and I can also see a very valid argument for why it wouldn't matter at all.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:34 PM   #157
varnyard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chameleon Company
You took it wrong Bobby. Regardless of any on-going feud, acts of past stupidity, etc., that may well be part of what defined the "Wild Wild West" laments of others BTW, the new rules and enforcement procedures are just that ....... "New" and with the expressed object to curb the feuds and stupidity. David is not the only deputy. Because he dinged one offender who has tested him, he now has the obligation to ding all ? Nope.

No one is surprised that David was one of the first to ding Wes. Apparently no one is surprised that Wes wants to whine about it either, as I guess Wes is only meeting expectations. The Poobah has reviewed all at this point. I can believe that he is laughing a good one .
The ("New") is just fine, but the old still stands as a reminder of peoples actions. I will not act just on NEW actions without looking at the past as well. This topic is old news as stated before.

As the old saying goes, you cannot not have your cake and eat it too.

If any Moderator wants to show a large lack of class, or want to be shown in a dark light, then they need not to look to me for support. I did say any, so please not take it any different then said.

I will not call a Spade an Ace, regardless of anyone’s position here. Enough said.

Old 01-29-2007, 12:44 PM   #158
kmurphy
Bad history or not, Wes' posts were certainly deserving of warning points. If a moderator cannot give out warning points for these post then it will be interesting to see what they deem worthy in the future.
IMO it isn't necessary to analyse the merit of an antagonistic post in order to give out points. Wes knows what he wrote and I believe expected points for doing so. The current point system gives him pretty much a free ride for about 300 points or so to find out just where the boundaries lie.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:06 PM   #159
Chameleon Company
Seamus, your whole last post was more on the point. But the issue of whether or not those who were given the power was the best administrative move has already been debated, with myself and many others not in the affirmative. It is also a done deal. IMO, Ken nailed it on the head with this, which makes so much of the debate moot:
Quote:
Bad history or not, Wes' posts were certainly deserving of warning points. If a moderator cannot give out warning points for these post then it will be interesting to see what they deem worthy in the future.
IMO it isn't necessary to analyse the merit of an antagonistic post in order to give out points. Wes knows what he wrote and I believe expected points for doing so.
Wes has now been dinged by several different entities in the last 9 days, including two Super Mods, and yet all we keep hearing is "Dand .... Dand .... Dand .... " ! That Wes has nothing better to do when awaking from a stupor Sunday morning and posting this at 7:11 AM:
Quote:
Have YOU broken up any marriages lately?
Does the old lady, YOUR wifey, still trust you?
dandy dandy dandy dandy dandy dandy dandy dandy dandy dandy dandy
... is OK ? Doesn't rate a ding ? Or only if other dings are administered to coincide so as not to appear biased ? or Take your pick.

Like Brian said:
Quote:
Translation:::
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah... My name is Wes and I like to hear my own voice a lot...
I laughed at the pathetic nature of Wes on display when I saw his early morning post. Now I cringe at how others here seem to feel its of no consequence to the response it evoked.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:13 PM   #160
Dream
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Yes, I am aware of that. Just as I hope people are aware that if I am going to be dinged no matter what I do, then why should I work at it? Being dinged for doing nothing at all is a WHOLE lot less work for me to do.......

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread