Making a new site...Questions - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:55 PM   #11
crotalusadamanteus
Well Clay, compatibility is pretty much a must. So something I should really look into more. I didn't think a simple menu would create any issues. Not like it's gonna blink with sparkly lights or anything. LOL

I think part of it is the fact that the way it's written has them as a group bar. If I did individual buttons, might that cut out some of the script needed? I would only need the cascading on one tab that way (galleries). The rest could just drop down on hover. ???

Thanks,
Rick

Old 09-05-2007, 09:07 PM   #12
TripleMoonsExotic
What you could do is something like what is done on http://hfs-associates.com/. They have a main navigation, and when you click on a navigation button, a new page comes up with an additional sub navigation for you to select further.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:10 PM   #13
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic
What you could do is something like what is done on http://hfs-associates.com/. They have a main navigation, and when you click on a navigation button, a new page comes up with an additional sub navigation for you to select further.
Hey, I bet even I could do that. I don't have a problem linking anything. Even pictures. LOL But Java is not liking me right now.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:18 PM   #14
Clay Davenport
Well, compatibility is not nearly as much of an issue today as it was 5 years ago or more when I was playing with it.
I don't know anything about dreamweaver and stuff like that, I hard code my site as a general rule, but the kind of coding needed for making the drop down menus is out of my range so I used Fireworks.
The best thing about it is you still make it as one unit, not individual buttons. You save the working project on your hard drive, so you can easily edit the menu in the future, and you just export it for use on the web. That way you have the files you actually use on the site for display, while keeping the working files in storage so you don't have to start from scratch when you decide to add a button or another level to a menu.
You just load up the working copy, make your changes, and export it again, then replace the code on the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic
That is illegal.
Pffft. You say that like it's news.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:21 PM   #15
TripleMoonsExotic
Yeah, I hate Javascript. It's so touchy and there's so much code involved with it. I very, very rarely use it unless it is specifically asked for (and I can't convince the client to go another route).

You can also use CSS to create drop down menus, but that's a whole other ball game...

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/horizdropdowns
http://www.cssdrive.com/index.php/ex...rop_down_menu/

As you're building your web site, use these 2 links to check your HTML & CSS:
http://validator.w3.org/
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

Old 09-05-2007, 09:24 PM   #16
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Davenport
Pffft. You say that like it's news.
I don't encourage or applaud pirating software, and I have and will report it.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:29 PM   #17
crotalusadamanteus
Thanks for the links. Again...this weekend when I have more time to focus.

I appreciate all the help!
Rick

Old 09-05-2007, 10:38 PM   #18
KelliH
Quote:
I don't encourage or applaud pirating software, and I have and will report it.
Wow, thanks a lot Stephanie. What are you, the software police?

Old 09-05-2007, 10:40 PM   #19
KelliH
And Rick, I was only trying to help you out. Sorry, it was an innocent offer to help and it won't happen again.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:08 PM   #20
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH
Wow, thanks a lot Stephanie. What are you, the software police?

well, first off, its very silly to just openly say you will burn copies on a public forum. People DO look for that stuff. and DO report it. Check out some of the fines they have out for people they discover doing it.

Just watch what you say and to who.

I personally dont really care. its going to happen regardless, and if those kinds of people would just produce some software Like Adobe Photoshop CS that is MUCH more affordable to the people that actually use it, that sort of thing wouldn't happen( as often). Sure theres the argument "well they worked hard and have to pay for all the employees" yeah... how come bill gates is the richest man in the US? ( i believe he is...) dont think all that money is going to his employees .....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!