spasms - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-28-2007, 05:35 PM   #1
Beardy13
spasms

my beardy has had random spasms for about 2 days now... i know that this can be a sign of metabolic calcium def. I have also heard it can be a nuerological problem ... has anybody ever had experience with this? or does anybody know if this could be a problem brought on by low heat?

Old 10-29-2007, 10:43 AM   #2
JimD
How big of prey are you feeding? Feeding to big of food can also cause this.

Jim.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:19 PM   #3
Beardy13
about the size of his head... but the past couple days i have down graded to about 3/4 the size between his eyes...

Old 10-29-2007, 12:44 PM   #4
JimD
You dont want the crickets any bigger then the space between their eyes. Youve done the right thing by giving smaller prey. They try to eat just about anything.
Have you ever seen anyone put their fist in their mouth? Imagine them swallowing it!!

Hope everything works out.

Jim

Old 10-29-2007, 01:17 PM   #5
Beardy13
he actually is having full body spasms now... its terrible and heartbreaking to watch... is there anything else you can tell me? ... i tried to take him out in the sun for awhile possibly for more D3... and he just defecated... so i don't think he is backed up... i also thought maybe i am not gut loading my crickets correctly... could this be it ?

Old 10-29-2007, 06:00 PM   #6
JimD
Have you been giving him proper UVB and D3? If you havent you need to. It wont fix itself over night though. It will take some time. Does your dragon do it all the time? Does it do it more when you handle it?

Jim

Old 10-29-2007, 08:11 PM   #7
Beardy13
yes i have... but it seems to happen when he gets excited

Old 10-29-2007, 08:12 PM   #8
Beardy13
how often do i give him calcium and d3 on his crickets i have been doing it twice daily, but i heard not so often from some and daily from others

Old 10-29-2007, 11:46 PM   #9
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Calcium with D3 should be given 5 times a week. Two times daily is really too much. That alone can cause overdosing of D3 & too much calcium will cause constipation. What type & brand of supplementation are you using? Does your calcium have phosphorus in it?
What type & brand of UVB are you using? Is it a flourescent tube bulb or a compact or coil light?
The feeders should be smaller than the space between the eyes to avoid impaction. How large was his stool? Did it have much urate to it?
What are your temps & how do you measure them? Do you use a digital probe or a temp gun?

Tracie

Old 10-30-2007, 09:25 AM   #10
Beardy13
i use repto-cal... and i have a flourescent light with UVB and UVA...its i think "rep light"? ill double check that... His stool is about 2.5 inches and yes there was urine... i keep it about 90-100 in his cage at basking and 72ish at the other

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!