can adult savanna monitors be housed in a75gallon - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-31-2004, 02:04 PM   #1
reptilezone
Wink can adult savanna monitors be housed in a75gallon

I'm thinking of getting a savanna monitor and was wondering if I could house a full grown savanna monitor in a 75 gallon tank.I've read some caresheets and they sayed you could.Write now I have a bearded dragon in a 55 gallon,waterdragon in a 75 gallon,and a meller chameleon in a 65 gallon mesh cage.can someone please answer my question.

Old 12-31-2004, 02:43 PM   #2
xeyesofpurityx
sorry but no...

That size enclosure is way too small for a midsized monitor; I would say 6'x3' is the smallest you're going to get away with, and a 8'x4' would be a great choice.

If you're interested in monitors try looking at ackies or other dwarf monitors that "can" be set up properly in something a bit smaller than your midsize guys that get over 3'.

Thanks - Nathan M.

Old 12-31-2004, 10:00 PM   #3
Glenn Bartley
You cannot keep a fully grown Savannah Monitor in a 75 gallon sized enclosure without it being cruel and unusual punishment!

An enclosure about 6' deep x 10' long by at least 3' tall would be more the proper size although you could get by on something smaller like 4'x8'x3'. These are active, prowling type lizards and within reason: the more room the better when considering enclosure size.

Old 12-31-2004, 10:06 PM   #4
Lucille
Wendell:
I am glad you are asking prior to purchase. I bought (and had to return) a Savannah when the pet store told me that I could keep it in a 55 gal. terrarium. That is SO not true. The info you have just received is more like what a critter like that needs, 4' x 8' or so, dirt to burrow in....You make want to reconsider.
Again, it is awesome that you are asking first.

Old 02-09-2005, 11:51 AM   #5
SHvar
Well, do you think this guy here could live in a 75 gallon aquarium??

This guy was 4ft 6 inches long and 10.5lbs, the biggest exanthematicus Ive seen by far (Ive heard of a claim of 5ft, but no proof), note hes not overweight either, he was active, atheletic, climbed, etc. Great animal it was a shame my husbandry wasnt better, and my choice of vets, oh well Ive learned the hard way many times.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!