Is Windows 10 for you? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 08-30-2015, 04:31 AM   #1
WebSlave
Is Windows 10 for you?

Old 08-30-2015, 11:54 PM   #2
LauraB
Hell no, even before I watched/listened to this video. MS has been p*ss8ng me off for weeks with annoying pop ups telling me to reserve my free copy. I'll stick to FF (and my old Windows 7)

Old 08-31-2015, 12:49 AM   #3
WebSlave
I'm thinking that ceasing with the upgrades to the older versions might be wise too.........

Old 08-31-2015, 01:17 AM   #4
LauraB
Agreed. Funnier even still, I was talking to my son tonight; he has no PC/tablet.

I don't have a "smart" phone, so I asked what Android OS he has on his. It's relatively old. Then when the conversation turned to PC systems, he said he would only want MS XP. Even my 21-year old son doesn't trust anything past XP.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:49 AM   #5
hhmoore
Yeah, the gf's son jumped on it, and followed that with putting it her laptop...I started looking into it and found out about all the security stuff. Disabling it all is a process but I came across a few articles that detailed the steps pretty well (they effectively buried those options, so most people are unlikely to stumble across them)

Old 08-31-2015, 12:57 PM   #6
CwnAnnwn
I have been using windows 10 for a while now. It is not that bad. You do need to stop it from contacting Microsoft every 5 minutes, but that that is easy.

If you use a smart phone, then it is doing worst to you then windows 10 does. The only honest thing about 10 is that it tells you it is doing it. Android and IOS are doing the same thing, just not telling you.

If you are going to use windows 10, here is a open source free app that will disable all the spy ware with a few clicks. https://github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking

In saying all of that, I use MINT for everything. Sure it does not support games like windows. But besides that, it does everything else. And it you are less likely to get viruses. Not impossible, but less likely.

If you want to try it, http://www.linuxmint.com/.

Does everything windows can, and you control every setting.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:10 PM   #7
JColt
Windows Tracking Disable Tool

Make sure you run as Administrator. Read instructions.

https://github.com/10se1ucgo/Disable...cking/releases

Old 09-27-2015, 09:17 PM   #8
Helenthereef
I updated my laptop which had been running Windows 8 and it all looks pretty much the same, so if you're used to Windows 8, I'd say go for it.

However, on my main PC computer I am hanging on to Windows 7 until they pry it from my cold, dead hands..... Windows 8 and 10 wants very extensive internet access, which I do not always have, and seems really designed for touch screen access which my laptop has but my PC does not.

The change from Windows XP or 7 to Windows 8 or 10 is the hardest part - the screens are very differently set out. I'm not recommending my 85 year old father ever shifts over.....

Old 10-09-2015, 01:24 PM   #9
Guy Castro
Windows 7 Professional rocks! Figured out how to get rid of that "free windows 10" BS at the bottom right.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:08 PM   #10
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Castro View Post
Windows 7 Professional rocks! Figured out how to get rid of that "free windows 10" BS at the bottom right.
Share?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!