What do dogs like best to eat? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 04-03-2006, 08:27 PM   #1
Lucille
What do dogs like best to eat?

After I brushed about a ton of white hair off Boss, he is blowing his coat, I noticed he was underweight. I will get him checked out at the vet soon but he did not really want to eat the Innova which the other dogs love. The previous owner fed him some kind of food from Wal Mart but she forgot the brand and had thrown away the bag.
I could stop by tomorrow and get some of those 10 lb. bags of chicken legs and cook him chicken and rice, but I'd love to hear other ideas, what do y'all's dogs particularly like to eat?

Old 04-03-2006, 09:45 PM   #2
coyote
I feed Nutro. Just my own personal attitude in this matter, I am not willing to accommodate finickiness. The dog either eats it or it starves. I have never had a dog refuse the food offered and actually starve itself. Never.

Old 04-03-2006, 09:57 PM   #3
Lucille
That was my theory until I read that Great Pyrenees can be finicky and he is thin....I'm worried.

Old 04-04-2006, 12:05 AM   #4
Clay Davenport
My dogs like anything that happens to be on MY plate. We do spoil them with handouts, but they do not beg annoyingly nor do they steal food.
One of them is a little picky with some things, but the female I have never seen refuse anything edible including raw onions and black jelly beans. Of course she thinks rabbit poop in the yard is little piles of chocolate balls apparently. Bacon is an extreme delicacy for them.
99% of their diet is Iams though. And while we do allow them tastes of pretty much whatever we're eating, we don't allow it to make up any significant part of the diet.
They will literally eat themselves sick on people food if we were to let them.

I personally don't take the eat it or starve approach. Some dogs prefer some foods over others. I have tried a couple of brands of dog food that the dogs just didn't eat with enthusiasm, while others were consumed with relish. I go with the brands they obviously prefer, as long as it is a good food. (Good being a relative term considering it is after all highly processed bags of you'd rather not know what.)
We all have some foods we don't care for, I believe dogs can be the same way.

I bet you can raise his interest by mixing a bit of table food in with his dog food. Not a lot, just mixed in well so he eats everything.

Old 04-04-2006, 02:30 AM   #5
PaulSage
Mixing the new dog food with some warm water prior to feeding can make it more palatable to some dogs, too.

Old 04-04-2006, 05:46 AM   #6
Lucille
I tried the warm water and it didn't work. I think on the way home I will get some chicken and cook it and mix it in, see if that will help.
No offense to anyone but I got to cook their food, I am not into the raw diet thing.

Old 04-04-2006, 09:34 AM   #7
Cat_72
I have never had a dog refuse Nutro either, and my Crested is VERY finicky about his dog food.

If you are going to use the chicken, just boil it up and mix a small amount of the broth and chopped up meat in with the food, I have done that myself in the past. Iams makes some nifty little ketchup-bottle looking things of "gravy" that are very handy as well, and they actually smell like beef broth or chicken broth (though I've never had the nerve to taste them, lol....but they smell good). A small amount of bacon grease over the food can be very effective too.

I will go with the "eat it or go hungry" approach to some extent, but not for any length of time.

Old 04-04-2006, 10:02 AM   #8
techgirl
i always give my guys a 2 day period when they decide to try the hunger strike to see if i'll cave in. a little garlic powder or parmesan cheese sprinkled on their food has worked for me when they've been really stubborn.

Old 04-04-2006, 06:33 PM   #9
Suncoast Herpetological
Cats!

Old 04-04-2006, 08:41 PM   #10
Lucille
I don't got no cats.
I think Boss will be OK, he ate for dinner a pound of boned chicken a pound of leftover fajita meat and some Innova kibble.....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!