Ornatus Nile Monitor - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-11-2004, 10:37 PM   #1
ThrasherC4
Ornatus Nile Monitor

I got a new monitor and is fairly calm never biting or whiping tale. Its very active though. I wanna know if anyone knows the characteristic differences between an ornatus nile and a regular nile because i cant tell which. i would also like to know if there is any size difference. it even takes crickets from my hand which i figured isnt such a good idea. someone plz tell me

thanx

Old 07-12-2004, 09:31 AM   #2
SPJ
Easiest way to tell the difference is the color of the tongue.
Ornates have a pink tongue and commons have a black tongue.

Old 07-12-2004, 02:20 PM   #3
ThrasherC4
its a reg

Its a regular nile then because it has a black tounge. its a really non-agressive lil guy but its really active at times.

Old 07-12-2004, 03:16 PM   #4
Mark and Aimee
The Ornate Nile will have 3-5 rows of large yellow spots between its front and hind legs.

The Common Nile will have 7 or more rows of smaller yellow spots between its front and hind legs.

The Ornate Nile has a rounded snout (like a blackthroat monitor), and the Common Nile has a pointed snout (like a water monitor).

The black tongue VS pink tongue thing... I'm not sure how accurate that could possibly be.

Old 07-12-2004, 03:21 PM   #5
Mark and Aimee
Well, I did find a reference to tongue color...

http://www.cnah.org/pdf_files/90.pdf

As well as different numbers for the bands.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!