Need opinions on vets for pets - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:26 PM   #1
neocatlove
Need opinions on vets for pets

So me and my friend are in a argument and she is someone who has only really owned dogs she has said she knows NOTHING on snakes at all she doesn't even think they are cute!?! but anyways she is telling me i shouldn't own a snake because i can't afford to take it to a vet over every tiny issue
what do you guys think? (clearly i am not going to give away my snake any time soon) but I would like to know what you guys think is something to take your pet to the vet over? like for dogs and such i know taking them to the vet is standard but i have known of a lot of people who treat their own pets because they sell stuff to do so most of the time

Old 11-12-2017, 10:37 PM   #2
Helenthereef
In my opinion, reading care sheets about your animal, and asking for advice from more experienced keepers (as you are doing on here right now), can save you a lot of unnecessary vet visits for things you can deal with yourself, like stuck sheds, etc.

On the other hand, it's a good idea to try and have enough money on standby for at least a single vet visit if possible, because it's really hard to know what's going on with reptiles - they don't seem as obviously sick as mammals do until it's quite far along and urgent.

You do, however, need to find a specific reptile vet in your area - not all vets know much about reptiles.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:33 AM   #3
Herpin Man
At least 90% (probably more) of the issues that arise with herps, that require veterinary care, are the result of husbandry errors. Herps don't need annual checkups, shots, neutering, etc.
A reasonably knowledgeable hobbyist can deal with most minor issues on their own. So, how often you need a vet is largely up to you. Are you taking proper care of your animals? Are you able to recognize when a problem can be corrected by changes in your husbandry? Do you have the knowledge to deal with minor issues on your own? Do you wild caught or captive bred? Is it your philosophy to take an animal to the vet when the cost to do so may far exceed the cost to simply let the animal die, and then replace it?
All of these are factors in how often you will need veterinary care.
To answer your question- for me personally, I have been keeping herps for quite a few years. I have a fairly good sized collection, and I don't like going to the vet needlessly. So, I focus on keeping my animals as clean, fed, and healthy as possible. I fix minor problems myself, but I will take an animal to the vet when I can't fix the problem myself- if it is a problem that appears to be fixable at all. I also think it is important to seek out a qualified herp vet in advance of actually needing one.
But, in your case, if something serious does come up with your snake, I hope that you are prepared to provide it with the veterinary care that is needed.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:00 AM   #4
neocatlove
Thanks you guys! yeah i agree i do think i can take my snake to a vet if something serious happens but was having a little trouble with the humidity because i have a screen top cage but two rags on both sides of the lamp (not too close) and always wet fixed it!

Old 11-23-2017, 09:48 AM   #5
CricketChitin
The problem is that you can't communicate with your pet effectively. So although they may look ill, it could really just be a small virus (like a cold). So doing research online, and asking around forums is the best place to start before going to a vet. You certainly want to take great care of your snake, but you also need to be realistic and not waste $200 for a vet visit when he/she only has a cold.

Old 11-25-2017, 02:20 AM   #6
neocatlove
thank you!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!