Florida state law issues - Page 19 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:54 PM   #181
LittleGrayTiger
My husband is at a point in his career where we could end up at almost any state in the country in the next 6-18 months. He just recently got a callback from Florida. I own leopard geckos, crested geckos, ball pythons, and will be receiving a boa constrictor soon. I understand that the Boa constrictor and its subspecies are not presently banned but there is pressure to add them.

However I will be breeding crested geckos and ball pythons 1-5 years from now. And very possibly boas even further down the line provided they are not severely restricted or banned. So...my understanding is that my current pets fall under Class III wildlife since they are not Class I or II. I don't need a permit to POSSESS them, correct? However if I sell my animals and want to be totally legal I'll need another permit(Class III Commercial Permit)? Can anyone link me to this permit? So far I've only been able to find the FL permit for conditional reptiles and that's not what I'm looking for.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:50 PM   #182
Rick.Alvarez77
The only boas that you need permits for at the moment are Green/Yellow anacondas. Everything else you have is completely legal for you to keep in Florida without any permits.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:03 AM   #183
IvoryExotics
For selling any class III animal in FL you need the Class III, for Exhibition or Public Sale License. You can downoad the documents here.

http://myfwc.com/license/captive-wildlife/applications/

Youll need to fill out the application and the disaster plan.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:51 AM   #184
freedumbdclxvi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick.Alvarez77 View Post
The only boas that you need permits for at the moment are Green/Yellow anacondas. Everything else you have is completely legal for you to keep in Florida without any permits.
You don't need a permit for yellow anacondas, just greens.

Old 08-10-2017, 03:28 PM   #185
cozebxnyc
just a quick question what class licenses do you need to sell non venomous reptiles in FL

Old 08-10-2017, 03:33 PM   #186
IvoryExotics
For most reptiles you would need this:

Class III, for Exhibition or Public Sale License

Application - http://myfwc.com/media/290311/permits_class3exhapp.pdf

Captive Wildlife Critical Incident Disaster Plan - http://myfwc.com/media/290320/Permits_DisasterPlan.pdf

Old 02-25-2019, 08:08 PM   #187
bcr229
FWC Bans Anacondas, Other Exotic Species, as Pets

http://www.fox13news.com/news/florid...exotic-species

FWC has banned Floridians from having pet anacondas, other exotic species
By FOX 13 News staff

Posted Feb 22 2019 06:49AM EST
Updated Feb 25 2019 04:52AM EST

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (FOX 13) - Any Floridian who wanted to own a pet anaconda has missed an opportunity to do so after wildlife officials banned them as pets.

Anacondas are not native to the Sunshine State, but they can and wildlife officials believe they can cause economic and environmental harm, and threaten human safety. During a Thursday meeting, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission voted unanimously on a list of animals banned from private ownership, or breeding them for commercial use.

The move is meant to prevent populations of "high-risk" species from growing in Florida, according to Carli Segelson, a spokesperson for FWC.

"It costs much less to prevent a species from becoming established than it does to control them once they are here. Our focus is on prevention so that we can stop another species from becoming established here," she explained to FOX 13.

FWC decided to specifically add yellow anacondas, Beni anacondas, and Deschauensee’s anacondas to the state's "Prohibited List." People who already have the specific species as pets have been "grandfathered in" and can keep them. They are just required to obtain a no-cost permit.

Segelson said anacondas have always been recognized as non-natives to Florida. They may have been added to the list of banned pets, but they were already on a separate list -- on the federal level.

"These species were already listed as injurious by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service," she said. "A federal law known as the Lacey Act prohibited interstate transport of injurious wildlife, unless permitted by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. However, in April 2017, a court ruling removed federal oversight of interstate transport, resulting in potential importation of injurious species into Florida."

FWC said breeders have 90 days to get rid of their inventory. Other non-native species that were added to the list include:

Mammals
Meerkats/mongoose
Raccoon dog
Dhole
Brushtail possum
Flying foxes

Birds
Red-whiskered bul-bul
Dioch
Java sparrow
Pink starling

Reptiles
Brown tree snake

FWC's Nonnative Fish and Wildlife Program operates to remove these types of species that can threaten Florida's ecosystem. Anyone who spots any invasive species are asked to call FWC’s Exotic Species Hotline at 888-483-4681.

Old 02-26-2021, 09:24 AM   #188
bcr229
https://myfwc.com/about/commission/c...february-2021/

Meeting was yesterday, agenda item #5 to prohibit possession, breeding, and sale of the following species passed: Burmese pythons, reticulated pythons, scrub pythons, Northern African pythons, Southern African Pythons, amethystine pythons, green anacondas, Nile monitor lizards, tegus (all species) and green iguanas.

Old 04-10-2023, 01:21 PM   #189
bcr229
Warning - graphic pics at link: https://www.usarkfl.net/news/13162309

Registration = Euthanization. If you are in Florida and have "grandfathered" critters, get them the hell out of the state ASAP.

Old 04-10-2023, 03:14 PM   #190
WebSlave
So, where is the SPCA (or all the other animal hugging associations) when it comes to issues related to reptiles? Can you imagine the uproar if this was some jack booted thugs killing cats or dogs and obviously enjoying their handiwork?

Honestly had that been my facility with those goons killing my animals, there might not have been just reptile blood on that floor. Just looking at that SOB smiling while standing over his handiwork makes my blood boil. I would NOT and WILL not recognize anyone's authority, no matter who it is granted by, to kill my animals or damage my property in any way. Destruction of private property does not become permissible just because someone is wearing a tin badge while engaging in that activity.

What the hell has gone bat sh!t crazy mentally defective in LEO agents these days? People think that just because they get a badge pinned to their chest that they have become some kind of godlings able to just trample over people's rights at will?

BTW, I remember when I retired my SerpenCo business. FWC came swooping in here, I guess thinking the reason I was getting out of the business was because I had some banned species and they wanted to catch me with them before I could get rid of them. Sure was a disappointing day for them when all they found were my corn snakes. I am surprised some idiot didn't try to claim they were pygmy versions of pythons or some such nonsense they can dream up just to be able to write up a factless citation.

And all the above is IMHO.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!