Exotic Phasmids illegal in USA? USDA/Aphis documentation??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:25 AM   #1
Nathan Tow-Arnett
Exotic Phasmids illegal in USA? USDA/Aphis documentation???

Does anyone know where to find the documentation from usda or aphis stating that ALL exotic stick insects or phasmids are illegal to own in the US?

I keep reading comments on forums about them being illegal to keep as pets but when I've tried to look up where the legal wording coming from usda or aphis I cannot find anything. Also I looked at Minnesota and didn't find anything restricting then as pets.

I can understand in the southern states having restrictions but nothing tropical could withstand a winter here in the North.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:18 PM   #2
jacuoco88
I've heard this same story when I used to be on Arachnoboards but I've researched it and have never found any documentation. I will say that the eggs of various phasmid species have been sold, inexpensively, on the U.S. based eBay site for years without issue. I know from personal experience that eBay is very diligent in ensuring that nothing is sold on their site which violates federal rules and regulations.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:10 PM   #3
jacuoco88
[size="3"]I checked to see if the information I wrote about phasmids being available on eBay was still accurate - and it is. If you enter the words "stick insect" as a search query, the listings come up. Additionally, they have listings for live ants, moths, butterflies, mantids, every feeder insect, and tropical fish./SIZE]

Old 02-26-2016, 01:28 AM   #4
jacuoco88
Stop! Correction

CORRECTION: Enter the words "stick" "insect" and "eggs" in the search query on eBay and the listings will come up. Good luck.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:46 AM   #5
jacuoco88
I’ve noticed that Underground Reptiles is selling nymphs of the Phasmid species, Extasoma tiaratum for $20/each. The Phasmid hobby has come a long way just since the creation of this thread.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:34 PM   #6
elena
When I worked at a museum, I remember that we were required to have a permit for some but I believe not all of our phasmid collection. I think the Australian species did not require a permit, but I could be wrong. This was back in 2005 though.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:50 PM   #8
jacuoco88
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjwhiteley View Post
Firstly, nowhere in the regulations you appended does it specifically say a word about Phasmids, stick insects, leaf insects or their larvae or eggs. Second, the regulations only reference "importation" of insects that feed on plant matter. In other words, bringing live animals into the USA from a foreign country. Most phasmid species are now being bred in the US and sold as "captive born" so the regulation (even if applicable to Phasmids, which there is no proof of) is inapplicable to animals that are captive born and sold within the US.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:21 AM   #9
bjwhiteley
John, I'm not sure why you are arguing with me. I agree the regulation is vague, but that just leaves the interpretation up to federal agents. It requires a permit for interstate movement, that is pretty specific. Then it also requires the permit for all exotic insects in public displays, zoos and museums. The intent is clearly to preclude private ownership.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!