Job Rant - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:55 PM   #1
JColt
Job Rant

Last Friday I took a vacation day to burn up some time. I have been the maintenance guy and IT helper at Police/Jail there for 27 years now. I am at the point where it's just time to go. The new hires are getting younger and frankly lazy slobs who think everything is not in there job description.

I get called about 4:30 pm that sewage is backing up in generator room and starting to flow into hallway. I get there about 5:30 pm. I am told it has been that way since midnight. So midnight shift and day shift did not do anything. Afternoon shift supervisor is one who called. I thanked him for not waiting until 11 pm to call.

I get med snake out and start getting feminine hygiene products out. Then yogurt lids, plastic bag, and a bunch of stuff I'm not sure of. Still blocked. Get out the big snake and get 60 feet in and hit something. I pulled out a red towel or shirt and drain frees up. I went 60 ft down hall way which is directly in front of woman's locker room.

I let Chief know as he's my supervisor. When I come in Monday I am confronted by day shift Sargent who say's I am wrong and that obviously came from jail and he submitted a form 1 to Chief about it. He says this real snotty like. I said, you may want to pull that and walked away.

So we have meeting. I just sat there and let him yak away. Chief says what do you think Joe? I said, Prisoners do not have red towels or shirts, they do not get dannon yogurt or plastic shopping bags. And jail is on second floor and does not drain into basement floor until it goes down into floor in bay 4 which is complete opposite of where plug was. Also the snake dead ended in front of woman's locker room.

So night shift and day shift get chewed out for not calling me and apparently that is my fault they got chewed out. They act like they got demoted and fined or something. So me being me, I told them, You guys are lazy and always try and shift shit on other people. How about owning up to it and be what your getting paid for?

People do not care what they do or how it affects others. If they mess up it is someone else's fault. I'd say 75% there are slobs and only do the minimum throughout there work day. The only time they will talk to you is if they need something.

We have about 1/3 of the people left from when I started. It was much more enjoyable working just 5 years ago than now. I have exactly one more year to go. I had hoped to stay a few more years but I don't think that is gonna happen.

This week I spent 3 days on my computer installing new electronic door software and inputting 80 plus people into it. We have 3 new exterior door locks coming. Our old system will not work on new locks but new is backward compatible. So the biggest part is adding 80 people by name, rank and fob number. Very time consuming. Created the 3 new doors and added people to it. After install I can then re program all interior doors which is 42 of them. So other things have been put off for the week. Of course it's because I'm getting back at cops for flooding downstairs. It has nothing to do with locks right?

I'm getting short tempered and things are bothering me that normally wouldn't. I'm too young to retire and sit at home so I guess I'll just start looking so when next year is here I can just drop my keys and head out.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:09 PM   #2
Lucille
Joe I am so sorry. I met some of the same sorts of people when I worked in a jail for a few years as a nurse. Definitely not everyone, some were responsible and helpful like you. But in my opinion shirkers do not belong in that environment.
Hang in there.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:43 PM   #3
JColt
Thanks Lucille. Jail part is another adventure. Anytime I work in cell are's a correction officer is supposed to be there to keep an eye out for my tools. If I'm working on plumbing I'm usually in a tight cubby hole and my tools are just outside. I'll go to grab a tool and corrections officers back is turned watching TV with prisoners behind them I keep thinking one day I'll come to work and they'll say they found one of my screw drivers in another prisoners forehead.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:43 PM   #4
JColt
cell area's not are's

Old 11-26-2017, 07:30 PM   #5
Roscoe09
Not to be rude but it’s spelled Sergeant not Sargent.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:56 PM   #6
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe09 View Post
So, that is your contribution to this conversation

Old 11-26-2017, 08:47 PM   #7
Helenthereef
I really sympathise with your frustration with coworkers and general idiots. I keep taking on help and then getting rid of it again because it takes me longer to supervise and check them than it does to just do it myself. Then I get accused of not delegating.....

Have you heard this quote from William Gibson (well-known Science Fiction author):
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, simply surrounded by assholes"

Old 11-26-2017, 08:53 PM   #8
Helenthereef
Plus, a couple of things to cheer up your office wall....
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2017, 03:55 AM   #9
JColt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe09 View Post
Thanks for letting me know. I have a cat named Sargent so probably why I spelled it that way. Have a good holiday.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:55 PM   #10
JColt
And it get's better! I come in Monday after 3 days off. Usually a pretty busy day. Dispatch pages me and says, Your 11 am appointment is here early. I say, I have no 11 appointment today. She says they asked for you by name.

I go up and ask whats this about? They tell me the city set up an energy audit and said to meet with you. Argh! Sure I just love 4 hour unexpected meetings.

They were extremely apologetic. I took a couple deep breaths and said, Not your fault, no problem. At least I got some good atta boys out of it.

They told City Hall that even though I knew nothing about meeting I was by far the easiest to deal with and extremely helpful and organized.

By the end of the day I calmed a bit. These so called experts they have working in the city can sure make a mess.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!