Looking to get a Tortoises - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:57 AM   #1
NJFELIXL
Question Looking to get a Tortoises

[F]Hello,
I am thinking about getting 1 or 2 tortoises but do not know what type is best for me. I live in NJ and plan to setup a 48"x 24" tortoise table on top of my Tegu enclosure. It or they will also be allowed to wonder around the house when I am home and outside when the weather is nice. I have experience with snakes, iguanas, sliders, breaded dragons, and tegus but have never owned a tortoise. Still in the homework stage before I start building the table for the specific needs of whatever i get so any input would be greatly appreciated.[/font]

Old 11-20-2017, 10:45 PM   #2
Dyscophus antongilii
What adult size/sizes are you comfortable with? Are you looking for a species that needs a lot/high amount of humidity? Are you looking for a species with lower/less humidity requirements?

What species have you researched? Which ones have interested you the most so far? Do you have a price range you are trying to stay in? Are you looking for a W.C. (wild caught specimen) or a C.B.B. (captive bred and born species) specimen(s)?

Lastly, why are you look for two? Do you want to breed them? If so, that will be another limiting factor regarding the species you choose.

I am sorry for all the questions, but, nothing " immediately comes to mind" from your post. Again, I am sorry about that and all the questions.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:56 AM   #3
nickolasanastasiou
My default answer will be the Eastern Hermann's tortoise, but the criteria Matt brought up are all very relevant to fine-tuning your choice.

I would not let the animal roam the house, by the way. I would also shoot for a bigger enclosure than 48x24. If something like that is the maximum size constraint, then buy only one instead of two or more. Time outdoors can be achieved with a pet playpen or (better yet) a secure outdoor enclosure that is planted. Mind sunlight's ability to cook the animal as well as the ability and propensity for digging that a tortoise will have, as they could slip under the edges of a temporary barrier like a pet playpen if not staked down very well.

Do a lot of research before you make a move. Then handle the enclosure before the animal is procured.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:48 AM   #4
NJFELIXL
Thinking about a foot or less with low humidity (I can keep the substrate moist) as the table will be its primary home. CBB Eastern box turtle interest me the most. Price depends on where I get it from, won’t pay $1000 to a breeder but won’t do $20 from craigslist either. Not looking to breed them, just didn’t know if they prefer company.

48x24 is my max for indoors, during spring and summer I could setup a bigger outdoor area.

Old 11-22-2017, 12:44 PM   #5
nickolasanastasiou
You may want to rethink the enclosure's moisture parameters and design if you want to have an Eastern box turtle. Also, NJ may have laws governing the species/subspecies that you would want to consider before deciding.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:40 AM   #6
NJFELIXL
Eastern are legal in NJ but I decided to get a Hedgehog instead. Turns out their needs fit perfectly with what i was looking for.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!