Lacquer and for snake cages - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 11-24-2017, 01:43 AM   #1
Scootter
Question Lacquer and for snake cages

Is there a special lacquer I should be looking for to seal the inside of my wood snake cages after I stain them? Or possibly one to avoid? I've got the wood picked out and I've figured out lighting, heating and wiring.

Old 11-24-2017, 04:10 PM   #2
JButera
I was about to buy this but my wooden cage plans were aborted. http://agralifeproducts.com/products...nel-Seal-1-Gal

Old 11-25-2017, 03:16 AM   #3
Scootter
Quote:
Originally Posted by JButera View Post
I was about to buy this but my wooden cage plans were aborted. http://agralifeproducts.com/products...nel-Seal-1-Gal
Thank you!

Old 11-25-2017, 10:05 AM   #4
bcr229
Interesting. If you use it report back and let us know how it works out please.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:33 PM   #5
Scootter
I'm looking at a couple brands. I noticed tonight that the one JButera linked is white and I'd like to use a clear lacquer. I'm still in the planning/design phase so anything is a possibility right now.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:48 PM   #6
Helenthereef
I think the trick is just to make sure that you don't put any snakes in the tank until there is NO trace of odour left.

Also we made the mistake of making the layer a bit thin, and it doesn't wipe clean as well as I'd like, so I'd do thick or multiple coats.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:17 AM   #7
JButera
It's clear.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:07 AM   #8
Scootter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
I think the trick is just to make sure that you don't put any snakes in the tank until there is NO trace of odour left.

Also we made the mistake of making the layer a bit thin, and it doesn't wipe clean as well as I'd like, so I'd do thick or multiple coats.
I'm wanting to get these built way ahead of time so they can sit in my shop and air out for at least a month before I put snakes in them. I plan on putting a thick layer on the bottom of each cage. I also read a tip about wiping down the floor and sides with silicone before setting the cages up so that it will be easier to clean.

And I see JButera says it's clear so game on! Now I just need to find the wood I want to use locally (gotta love a small town) and I'm off to the races.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:32 AM   #9
Lucille
So, just my opinion, water based acrylics like the Kennel Seal are not going to last on the bottom of a cage. Acrylics are great (as paint or stain, for instance) for the sides of houses or fences, because while the surface does get wet frequently with rain, it does not sit on the surface.
In my opinion, horizontal surfaces that are prone to extended moisture need oil based coverings, spar urethanes, two part epoxies, and the like. Oil based urethanes can be applied better as several thin coatings, with the surface lightly sanded between coatings to rough up the surface, then wiped down to prevent the sanding dust being included in the next coat, rather than one thick coating.
The oil based products have higher vocs and must be aired out for a significan amount of time before use. And they are more expensive in general. The two part epoxies are very expensive.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:57 AM   #10
Scootter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
So, just my opinion, water based acrylics like the Kennel Seal are not going to last on the bottom of a cage. Acrylics are great (as paint or stain, for instance) for the sides of houses or fences, because while the surface does get wet frequently with rain, it does not sit on the surface.
In my opinion, horizontal surface that are prone to extended moisture need oil based coverings, spar urethanes, two part epoxies, and the like. Oil based urethanes can be applied better as several thin coatings, with the surface lightly sanded between coatings to rough up the surface, then wiped down to prevent the sanding dust being included in the next coat, rather than one thick coating.
The oil based products have higher vocs and must be aired out for a significan amount of time before use. And they are more expensive in general. The two part epoxies are very expensive.
Definitely some good food for thought. I need to sit down and do some reading and research. I've thought about using something like Flexseal for the floor and part way up the sides but that stuff is really expensive and I'm not sure there wouldn't be some off gassing once heat sources are turned on to bring the cages up to temperature. I watched a video where a guy lined a plywood aquarium with a 2 part epoxy and I liked how it turned out but like you said it was expensive. I want to use whatever is going to be the most durable since I plan on these cages lasting my lifetime at least. I can handle having them sit and air out for a while before using them as long as the end result won't harm my snakes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!