Black Knight (Roach Killer) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 02-05-2003, 08:16 AM   #1
HerpVenue
Black Knight (Roach Killer)

I am not here to discuss which mite killer is the best, which is the safest, blah blah blah blah.

I am here to discuss Black Knight roach killer.

About 12-14 months ago...maybe longer.
I acquired a "perfect" animal. This animal introduced me to my first war with mites. I have never seen m ites before so I did tremendous research. Armed with this "research" I figured I could fight any mite there was.

Long Story short............I lost

But then came Black Knight. I was tired of soaking the snakes and bleaching and rinsing the cages with hot scalding water. I was tired of spraying the snakes with stuff that does not work.
So I tried Black Knight. A quick spray in the cage on the animal (Light spray).
Two days later I did another quick spray on the animal. (Very light spray).
And a Repeat four additional days later (Even lighter spray)

And boom I am done. No more mites since then. I now have an expensive can of bug spray that only gets used when I acquire a new animal.

Some of you may ask why the other two sprays......
I did it to make sure I kill the newly hatched mite eggs (if there were some)

Old 02-06-2003, 05:37 PM   #2
JasonBrennan
Well, better to have that expensive can of bug spray just sitting there IN CASE you need it, rather than trying to find a can of that expensive bug spray when you DO NEED it.

Old 02-25-2003, 11:20 AM   #3
Winter
I also have had a good experience with Black Knight. I used it to treat a minor infestation from animals that were -said to be, and appeared to be- mite free until the eggs hatched a few weeks later.

I now also use Black Knight on incoming animals as a preventative measure in the chance that they carry mites in any stage of life. So far, I have not seen any ill affects from it, with either my snakes, nor other pets, though I do take precautions for both myself and the mammals in my home.

Lauren Rost

Old 02-25-2003, 03:22 PM   #4
SPJ
BK is the only product that actually works IMO.

Just make sure you do not spray it on a rough green snake. I lost mine because he used to drink the droplets of water on his body when I misted him. When I sprayed BK on him, yep, he drank it. Went into convulsions and died a few days later. That had to be the worst experience I ever had with herps, knowing that I inadvertantly killed the snake.

BK works great, just make sure your animals don't injest any.

Now, Reprile Relief.....well.....save your money.

Old 04-02-2003, 12:50 PM   #5
Monacleman
Do not use it on feeder snakes

I used it on baby corns that where intented to be fed to a baby king cobra. I waited a week or so before I fed . 3 days after I fed the king she was dead. She was doing awsome up until that point. It is the ony thing I could attribute it to.
Just my thoughts.............

Old 04-02-2003, 02:34 PM   #6
kenchat046
I TRADED FOR A GROUP OF HATCHLING COLUBRIDS( OH, YA DID I MENTION HEALTHY AND MITE FREE? LOL) I FOUND A FEW OF THE CRAWLIES AND CALLED UP ROBYN@PRO EXOTICS. I HAVE TRIED DIFFERENT THINGS IN THE PAST,AND THIS TIME I RESEARCHED IT AND CAME TO THE CONCLUSION BLACK KNIGHT WAS THE WAY TO GO. IT WORKED LIKE A CHARM.GREAT STUFF! AND NOW I TOO HAVE A VERY EXPENSIVE CAN OF"BUG SPRAY" JUST SITTING THERE. FEELS GOOD!

KEN LEACH

Old 04-02-2003, 05:47 PM   #7
INSANE CANES
Thumbs up

I would have to agree, I had taken in a couple of MITE FREE snakes, and what do you know a couple days later, there are all these little creepy black things crawling all over the cages.
In comes BLACK KNIGHT and out goes the MITES.
I love this stuff, and have several cans on hand, as we also do rescue work with reptiles, and you all know how bad some of those can be.

Thanks
SHAWN

Old 04-02-2003, 06:18 PM   #8
Darin Chappell
Does anyone have any experience using BK with the phorid flies that are becoming more common? Thanks in advance for any responses.

Old 04-26-2003, 05:49 PM   #9
Greg Riso
As an chemical analyst in the pharmaceautical industry I am very aware of all products active ingredients whether it involves a bottle of shampoo, food, pesticides, or whatever. When I had an animal come in with mites I checked out Black Knight and Proventamite. Each product was way overpriced from $18-$20/can. I wrote down the active ingredients in each and drove about a quarter of a mile to the nearest WalMart and bought a similar product for about three dollars. The active ingredient "permthrin" was 0.25% which is exactly half the level found in one of the other products. It works just as effectively and is actually SAFER because it's less concentrated. I spray the animal and enclosure lightly and immediately wash it off with dishwashing detergent. I've never even had to treat an animal twice when done properly. Save yourself some money.

Old 06-19-2003, 11:02 PM   #10
Audrina Head
Quote:
Originally posted by Greg Riso
As an chemical analyst in the pharmaceautical industry I am very aware of all products active ingredients whether it involves a bottle of shampoo, food, pesticides, or whatever. When I had an animal come in with mites I checked out Black Knight and Proventamite. Each product was way overpriced from $18-$20/can. I wrote down the active ingredients in each and drove about a quarter of a mile to the nearest WalMart and bought a similar product for about three dollars. The active ingredient "permthrin" was 0.25% which is exactly half the level found in one of the other products. It works just as effectively and is actually SAFER because it's less concentrated. I spray the animal and enclosure lightly and immediately wash it off with dishwashing detergent. I've never even had to treat an animal twice when done properly. Save yourself some money.
Does anyone have comments, warnings, etc., about this method? I found mites on the ball python I bought from FIRE. My computer's motherboard and power supply fried last weekend ($200+ to replace), and as a result, I'm a pretty broke.
PS - where in walmart would I look for this product (name?)
Thanks.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!