White lipped python - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-08-2018, 05:08 PM   #11
Stephenson8011
True true. And apparently they were feeding adult mice which seems to be awful small for the size of the snake but I’ll try it. Also if I get a sample I’ll have it tested. I’ll let you guys know if he takes a mouse.

Then I’ll just have to figure out how to switch it to rats

Old 04-08-2018, 05:17 PM   #12
hotlips
Totally agree with bcr229 ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ (& take a stool sample to your vet when you can)

Bringing the snake back in to his shop will only add to its stress, so if you aren't seeing external parasites & that's what he's talking about treating for, that probably won't help.

But flagyl & panacur are another matter- safe & effective when correctly dosed & should help the appetite. I've used both very successfully, by all means take him up on it.

Remember, if he didn't have the snake for long, & you've only had "a couple weeks" it may just be a little slow de-stressing, & may be about to feed for you. No crystal ball here, just saying that when snakes are shipped & change hands a few times, they often get chilled & just too stressed to feed for a while, even when healthy.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:20 PM   #13
hotlips
It's EASY to switch a snake from mice to rats. But asking an already-stressed snake to eat a new food (rats) for you is a 'bridge too far'. And once he is eating for you, he may not object at all to the change, it's just that right now, it's a big "ask".

Old 04-08-2018, 05:33 PM   #14
hotlips
To be clear, I think that before I'd drag the snake back into the store, be honest & let him know that you only offered the snake a rat which he refused, and try feeding the snake a mouse in a few days (either live or dead, whatever way he took it previously). That's one of the most important things when you get a new snake...to find out exactly how & what it fed on previously, and make no changes at the very least until it is feeding reliably-well in it's new home. Snakes rely on instincts, they don't "change gears" all that well, especially when under stress.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:35 PM   #15
Stephenson8011
Yeah I told him I am going to try a mouse later in the week. I want to give the White Lip a break after yesterday and last nights attempt.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:42 PM   #16
Stephenson8011
Ok so I tried an adult mouse and same thing. He struck at it defensively but had no interest in eating. I’m gonna take it up this week and have it treated(Panacur or Flagly). I know that sometimes that can stimulate a feeding response. I’m in the process of moving but I will be looking for a good herp vet to get him checked out but I have noticed that in the time that I have had him he has not defecated. I’m not totally sure of all the implications of that since I have had him 3-4 weeks now

Old 04-15-2018, 02:43 PM   #17
hotlips
Sorry the feeding attempt failed again. If he's not eating, it's fairly normal that he's not defecating either, but that said, I'd be concerned about his lack of appetite. The Panacur & Flagyl may help, I hope? -but if not, as you said, you need a good herp vet. Good luck!

Old 04-15-2018, 07:33 PM   #18
Helenthereef
if you can, I'd start weighing him now, and then maybe every 2 weeks or so. If he's on hunger strike but not losing weight, you can afford to wait longer, but if he starts to lose weight you might need more vet intervention. Have you seen him drinking? Does he seem dehydrated? Is he passing white urates at all?

Old 04-15-2018, 07:48 PM   #19
Stephenson8011
He has passed unrates. But I rarely see him out of his hide. I’ll have get a scale in order to keep up with his weight I guess

Old 04-15-2018, 07:58 PM   #20
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenson8011 View Post
He has passed unrates. But I rarely see him out of his hide. I’ll have get a scale in order to keep up with his weight I guess
I think a scale is worth having. It's surprising how long a snake can go without feeding and yet not lose weight, and it's reassuring to know whether that's the case.

If he's passing urates it means at least that his general metabolism is functioning and that presumably he's drinking. Although you really need faeces for a parasite exam, I did take urates to a vet when I had a similar problem - there might be something they can deduce from them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!