Strophurus Intermedius issues? Please help! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-20-2013, 05:49 AM   #1
hdavidf309
Strophurus Intermedius issues? Please help!

I have bought 1.1 proven (but not bred) St. Intermedius recently and have a couple concerns that I need help/advice.
When i bought them from a reputable breeder i was so ecited as I had never worked with this particular species before. As soon as I was home and put them in separate enclosures, it seemed as though they were a bit lethargic and weak. the seller had told me that they were cooled previous to the sale, and that before he had bred them, he had wanted to sell them due to interest in other projects. so i thought "well, let me give them a couple of days to settle it", so thats what i have done. At this time, I am concerned- they have not climbed ONCE, no interest in a heat fluxuation, the female moves and hunts but is 100% ground dwelling but the mae is 100% ground dwelling and doesn't even move much at all (no climbing at all), and they seem weak/lethargic.
They DO seem aware of thier surroundings and they HAVE/DO eat crickets offered. Please help in any way possible with advice, ect.... i really appreciate anyone helping as I am very scared they are in bad shape at this point. Thanks in advance....
Dave

Old 02-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
rcarichter
Can you briefly describe your setup? Or post a photo. They need an overhead basking lamp at around 95 degrees, with a gradient to the mid-70's. At night, there should be a drop in temps. Even though they are native to dry areas, I mist my strophs every night before lights out. They will clean their eyes and drink from the droplets. They also need a humid hide to aid shedding. Climbing issues could be due to stuck shed on the toepads. Lethargy is possibly due to them not seeking out heat. Were they shipped in a cold box? If so, they may have undigested food in their stomachs. Pictures would help.

Noelle

Old 02-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
hdavidf309
I have pics if need be but i am getting better of a grasp of whats going on now so i will explain my situation. I have UVB (5.0, as well as a heat lamp with 60 watt heat emitter (making a gradient around what you said or a bit higher on the COOL side maybe). Its a 12" cube by Zoomed with a hide, small branches, ect.... very simple. there is NO SUBSTRATE as of tonight except paper towel, due to the fact that i only had calci sand (wasn't aware) and won't use that at all. I am getting "hermit crab sand" tonight and mixing with coir substrate (because its the most natural/fine sand you can get). SO...don't judge substrate but look at the rest of the setup and tell me what you think, ok?
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
rcarichter
The first thing I would try is to turn off the UVB. Strophurus are nocturnal, and really don't need the UV. They may be trying to avoid the brightness. For the same reason, I'd use thicker branches. Mine rest up by the heat lamps, but always on the underside of the branch. (I keep 3 species of Strophs, and this is true for all). So try that, and give them a good misting tonight. Other than that, your setup looks fine.

Noelle

Old 02-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
hdavidf309
Okay...THANKS!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!