golith horned worms breeding - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
mikepanzarella
golith horned worms breeding

i just ordered 1k horned worm eggs and 2lbs of food my plan is to take 1/3 and let them go to larva
1/3 grow and sell and 1/3 for feeding my dragons
i was wondering how hard are the hawk moths to breed do they need any special care or food whats the best way to get this cycle going
from what ive read so far it doesnt seem hard and the moths can lay up to 2k eggs
if this is so i should have a nice cycle going in about 6-8 weeks
if anyone breeds these and can give me a few tips that would be great

Old 04-17-2012, 11:24 PM   #2
BaltimoreBees
I found some info on YouTube. Other than that I haven't found much information. This is something I'm really interested in information on as well.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
hadenglock
Basic setup for them is going to be some sort of screened in cage for them with a heat lamp on top for warmth, shoot for 85 degrees as a hot spot, and provide a tobacco plant or tomato plant in the middle for security and as an egg laying site, the moths will lay the eggs on the underside of the leaves if im not mistaken. You can find hornworm kits on scientific and biology supply companies that has all this (except the plant).

Old 04-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
BaltimoreBees
Thank you for the info. Kits are a neat idea. I was unable to find any info on temps so big thanks on that
I actually found some info on a forum. They also mentioned you could use rose branches (maybe I read this incorrectly) in place of the tomato plant. I also read that you need to collect the eggs before they hatch when using tomato plant, that the plant is indigestible to dragons and chameleons and can potentially be harmful. It was saying any worm that may have ingested the plant you should let them become moth breeders. Just thought I would touch base on that for anybody reading that. And from what I gathered, the moths feed on a sugar water mixture similar to that of a humming bird

Old 04-20-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
hadenglock
im sure you could use other plants as well, i just suggested those two being they are a favorite to the hornworms, but im sure there are other ways to raise them up. Try looking for scientific supply companies that do silk worms, most of the time they also offer horn worms as well.