Questions. First time GTP owner - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-07-2008, 10:51 PM   #1
tanyah625
Red face Questions. First time GTP owner

Let me start by saying I raise BPs so am not very familiar with this species.I adopted a GTP today. I have read up on them but have a few questions about this particular one. I was told it was a female. How do I verify this? They were not sure of her age. Is there any way to guess at this? She had a terrible shed can I take care of that the same as I would with a BP? She looks kind of scrawny to me. I didn't weight her yet, she had been without heat for at least 3 days and food for over 2 weeks, so I just wanted to get her warm and fed. I will try to post pictures of her. I would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2008, 11:50 PM   #2
ravensgait
Welcome to the additive world of Chondro's Tanya, well hard to really tell in those photos but it looks to be in decent weight. I'd hold off trying to feed till it has had a chance to acclimate, give it a week or so before trying to feed.. You have to probe these guys to be sure if they are male or female.

OK set up, you can use a tub or whatever as long as it will hold humidity well. You need a perch about the size of the thickest part of the body, I set tubs up with heat at one end so they can regulate by moving back and forth on the perch. Or if you use a cage heat from above and a heat panel is best for that.. You want to keep the humidity up with say a peak of about 85 percent and not falling below 50 or so. Temps of around 85 on the hot side and I have mine so the cool side is just above room temp around 73 to 75 ...

Being without heat for that long may be a concern I'd make the hot side around 90 and leave it that way for a week or two and then bring it down to around 85.. These guys will tell you when they are to hot or cold if they spend all their time on the heat turn it up, if they hardly ever get to the warmest spot your temps are to high. They don't take well to the temps Balls do so be careful not to bake it lol.. Hey if you need any more help ask here or you can PM or email me through the site.. Good luck with your new Chondro and it looks like a nice one.. Randy

Old 03-08-2008, 07:50 AM   #3
tanyah625
Thanks for the help.

The girl I got her from had no idea how to take care of any snake. It was her ex-boyfriend's snake and when he moved out he left it behind. The poor thing was curled up in a ball on the floor in a corner of the tank. No source of heat, they said the heat bulb blew out about three days ago. I didn't even see a heat lamp in the room. There was an empty bowl I assume was for water. No perches to loop around/ hang from.

She looks like she shed on her belly but her back has shed stuck all over it. Should I leave that and hope it comes off now that she's in a much better set up with higher humidity?

I think she is a gorgeous snake though. She was so docile when I picked her up, she tried crawling in to the inside pocket of my coat (looking for heat I assume). Once I let her acclimate I'll post pics of her in her new set up.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:15 AM   #4
ravensgait
If there isn't to much stuck shed I'd wait and let her shed again. Sounds like you did it a real big favor by taking it in.. Post some photos after it settles in.. Randy

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!