help with this years Crotalus breeding - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
simus913
help with this years Crotalus breeding

so this year will be my second attemp at breeding my Az. blacktails and first at my sidewinders and banded rocks......all of which come from basically the same region of the US. No babies from the blacks this summer so maybe im doin something wrong. Any tips or advice on what to do? i know i can look up info and i did but usually first hand info from people who actually breed them instead of someone who just wrote an article works better. thanks in advance.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:33 AM   #2
ocreptileguy
Drop your klaubs to at 46-48F. same with Molossus. Cerastes dont need to be cooled as low as them. low to mid 50's would be fine. keep all the males and females separated. start warming them back up in the beginning of March. feed the females every 5 days. The day the females shed, move them into the males enclosure for 1-2wks. separate and feed. reintroduce females to males enclosure again for 1-2 wks. keep the process going for 2 months or so. Put females back in their enclosures and be sure to provide both UTH and over head heating. If all you have is overhead heading, be sure to keep the females extra warm, and as stress free as possible. should have babies between August and September.

If you need tips on getting the offspring to eat PM me

Old 12-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #3
hadenglock
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocreptileguy View Post
Drop your klaubs to at 46-48F. same with Molossus. Cerastes dont need to be cooled as low as them. low to mid 50's would be fine. keep all the males and females separated. start warming them back up in the beginning of March. feed the females every 5 days. The day the females shed, move them into the males enclosure for 1-2wks. separate and feed. reintroduce females to males enclosure again for 1-2 wks. keep the process going for 2 months or so. Put females back in their enclosures and be sure to provide both UTH and over head heating. If all you have is overhead heading, be sure to keep the females extra warm, and as stress free as possible. should have babies between August and September.

If you need tips on getting the offspring to eat PM me
Dropping temps really seem to help stimulate breeding in NA crotalus species, a friend of mine is going through the same problem, Hes had them copulate and had the females ovulate but never got any of them to produce some nice babies yet (except for his pygmies) Have you tried hibernating them together year round? Many NA species hibernate in dens together maybe this will stimulate breeding?

Old 12-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
ocreptileguy
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadenglock View Post
Dropping temps really seem to help stimulate breeding in NA crotalus species, a friend of mine is going through the same problem, Hes had them copulate and had the females ovulate but never got any of them to produce some nice babies yet (except for his pygmies) Have you tried hibernating them together year round? Many NA species hibernate in dens together maybe this will stimulate breeding?
I know many people who hibernate their animals together and have success, I have had better success keeping them seperate

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!