I caught a Gray Corn snake last night! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:35 AM   #1
Kingetula
I caught a Gray Corn snake last night!

I went road cruising last night and I came across a snake crossing the road. (N.W. Jacksonville Florida) I got out and picked it up and my first thought was it was a young Yellow Rat but after looking at it closer it wasn't!! It was gray and looked just like a corn snake with the checkered belly. (Probably a year old and you can tell if it is a yellow rat or not, I even caught a year old yellow rat last night and it looked nothing like this Gray Corn snake) I have never caught a Gray Corn and honestly never thought about them till I looked in my book when I got home so most of last night I thought I had caught a Gray Rat and was shocked that I found one in Jacksonville. I have only caught Gray Rats in Tallahassee. From what I understand Gray Rats are not this far east, mostly the panhandle.

I don't keep the snakes I catch and let it go but 2 minutes down the road I thought, that was a rare find and I should go back and catch it. Of course I couldn't find it but now I am really kicking my self. (I wish I had my camera!!!) I'll probably spend many nights on that road now looking for him or his sisters and brothers.

I'm kicking myself right now. Errrr!

Old 06-28-2007, 11:39 AM   #2
RyanT
Could be an anery corn, but could also just as easily (and more likely) be a young black rat, or grey rat. Got any pics?

Old 06-28-2007, 12:13 PM   #3
WebSlave
Heck, the wife and I saw a DOR California king snake about an hour west of Jacksonville on route 90, so ANYTHING is possible.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:29 PM   #4
Kingetula
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanT
Could be an anery corn, but could also just as easily (and more likely) be a young black rat, or grey rat. Got any pics?

I wish I did take a picture

Old 06-30-2007, 11:40 PM   #5
crimsonking
Isn't it most likely a gray rat snake?
:Mark

Old 07-01-2007, 01:11 PM   #6
RosterImposter
Sounds like a yearling black rat snake.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:18 PM   #7
Kingetula
Not in my area

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!