Crocodile geckos - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-01-2018, 01:17 AM   #1
MikeV
Crocodile geckos

Hey guys, I'm looking for information on the current availability of crocodile geckos, Tarentola mauritanica. Recently I've seen geckos at shows and online being sold as croc geckos but they don't look like them at all. They don't look like bibrons or white spotteds either. Moorish geckos are aka crocs from what I understand but it makes more sense to me that Moorish geckos are different and are actually what's being offered currently as croc geckos. Are Moorish a different species and what I've been seeing offered as crocs? Any help/ classification would be appreciated. Any leads to available croc geckos would be even more appreciated. Thanks!

Old 08-01-2018, 03:04 PM   #2
elena
When working at a pet store, the animals we received under the name crocodile gecko were in fact Tarentola mauritanica. I've seen these same animals sold as Moorish geckos, Moorish wall geckos, common wall geckos, or just wall geckos. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if other species are sold as crocodile geckos, as common names often apply to multiple species and sellers use whatever common name sounds best to them. My recommendation is to ask sellers for the scientific name of the geckos they are offering for sale, and to familiarize yourself with the appearance of T. mauritanica so that you can easily tell if the animals offered for sale are exactly what you want.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:40 AM   #3
MikeV
croc geckos

Ok, that helps a little. I'll keep looking, thanks for the input.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!