Health Problems - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-14-2007, 01:42 PM   #1
panelson
Unhappy Health Problems

I have a Panther, Chameleon. The breeder (from Maryland)who sold it to me said it is an Ambanja he was one year old when I purchased him. I have him housed in a 24"x24"x48 screen cage 2-5.0 reptisun bulbs and a 100 watt basking light. I fill up a 80 ounce container everyday and let it drip down though a large Umbrella plant. There are also some plastic vines hanging in a couple of places and some other semi vertical and horizontal sticks that allow for better movement around the cage. Humidity is 55-60, basking temp is 85-90. All in all I think it is a decent set up. He seems to be calm and stress free. Any way, we have two problems. 1st one is constipation. Soon after I got him I noticed he did not have regular bowel movements, if any at all. I have to put him in the shower to get him to have a movement. 2nd is he has developed a spot on his left knee. It started as a small circle of light colored scales 1/8" in diameter when I noticed it. It has grown much larger and the scales inside of the circle lack color, they are mostly light gray to dark grey. He is starting a small spot on the other knee. What is going on ? How can I fix it?

Old 05-14-2007, 09:53 PM   #2
Dr Alan
Quote:
Originally Posted by panelson
What is going on ? How can I fix it?
Those questions are hard to answer. I think you need to get this one to a veterinarian who is comfortable dealing with reptiles. The discoloration is possibly evidence of a generalized infection (septicemia). I would also ask the vet to examine a fecal specimen for parasites.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:01 PM   #3
panelson
Dr. Alan

Dr. Alan

Thank you for your reply. I took him to the vet last October. A fecal analysis was performed, it showed a very high protozoan count. Medications was prescribed and given, and if I recall correctly he had more regular bowel movements. Could the protozoa increase in numbers again and could this be causing his constipation?

Old 05-15-2007, 07:57 PM   #4
Dr Alan
Quote:
Originally Posted by panelson
I took him to the vet last October. A fecal analysis was performed, it showed a very high protozoan count. Medications was prescribed and given, and if I recall correctly he had more regular bowel movements. Could the protozoa increase in numbers again and could this be causing his constipation?
Short answer. Yes.
But what do you mean by "protozoa"? Coccidia? Something flagellated? And what was the medication used? Metronidazole (flagyl)?

Old 05-16-2007, 09:22 AM   #5
panelson
I think I remember the vet referring to flagelated protozoa but I am not sure and the medicine is Metronidazole.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:58 PM   #6
Dr Alan
At a minimum and if you can get a specimen, have a fecal check done again.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:33 AM   #7
panelson
I've made an appointment to see my vet next week. The rings of light colored scales on his knees really has me stumped???

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!