Addendum to rules - posting links to ads - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 10-04-2003, 11:10 PM   #1
WebSlave
Exclamation Addendum to rules - posting links to ads

I am no longer allowing links within the BOI, or anywhere else on this site for that matter, to ads on another site's classifieds.

One site in particular blocks the mention of this site completely, and I am not stooping that low, but I see no need to allow advertisements for that site to be reflected here, to the benefit of that site.

If there is a question about an ad, you are welcome to cut and paste the text, but NOT the source link to that ad.

That you.

Old 10-04-2003, 11:56 PM   #2
Stardust
About time!

And "that you" too.

Old 10-05-2003, 12:12 AM   #3
screamdreams
Understandable...

I'm sure all of us will abide. The cut & paste "rule" is completely acceptable on my end, and your reasons are justiable to say the least. Thanks for a great site!!!

Old 10-05-2003, 12:20 AM   #4
WebSlave
I must admit I am surprised about the two responses so far. I thought for sure I was about to get my underwear fried, big time, when I did this.

I do understand that "that site" is the biggest herp classifieds around, but some times it does gripe me to be playing cleanup crew for them here. But I guess someone has to do it....

Old 10-05-2003, 01:30 AM   #5
HerpVenue
Well they post over there and buy over there.

Then run over here if they get ripped or what not.

Now if you guys were at peace......then I would say let the links be.
But since the mention of your site is banned. Well you don't have to let people advertise for them. So I understand.

I just wish everyone got a long.........Yes I mean Mario too.

Old 10-05-2003, 08:32 AM   #6
JungleHabitats
WHAT!!!

Thats the most un dispicable thing i ever heard .. HOW dare you not let Jeff B get linked to from this site ....

But for real its understandable we need to as they say " keep it all in the family" and i to am really surprised that this hasent been done before when he started his childish antics of his.But i have one question Rich.

1. maybe i have over looked it if so please send more koolaid my way .But would it be possible for you to ad a " photo hosting" into Fauna?

Old 10-05-2003, 10:27 AM   #7
ReptileZ
links

Most of the links are dead anyway by the time anyone gets a chance to look at the ads. I know that out of about 10 or so links I've clicked on, maybe one worked. So, it's useless for people to put those links on anyway.

Old 10-05-2003, 12:37 PM   #8
Classic Dum's
Hey Rich thats cool, my only concern is take that Dallas thread for example. One of the big issues to Dallases credibility was he claimed certain animals were not what they were advertised as then went and advertised them the same i.e. claiming the coral was not a coral but still advertised it as a coral. Now my concern is normally a ton of people will see the ads in question more times then not someone that is active within a thread has seen and can verify its truth but smetimes you may run into threads were no one else seen the ad or no one that seen it wants to get involved. So say there were no links to dallases ads and he claimed what was copied and pasted was altered. For alot of people they wont know which way to go. The poster here on the BOI says its ligit, the person in question says its not. So what I am wondering is mabye can we assign say Richie L. People email the links to him so he can verify??? something along those lines? Becuase like with Dallases thread those links and what was in his ad was kind of the smoken gun. Now had there been no links and he tried claiming his ads were altered when copied and pasted here Id hate to see credibilty taken away. Or are their any other ideas how to make sure that doesnt happen. I told ya before if you want to ban all links ot other sites be my guest its your site so I am not debating your decision. Like I said I dont want to see cerdibilty taken away. So if Richie wants to do that or someone has a better idea I think it would be a good idea to put something like that in place. Just a thought

Old 10-05-2003, 01:08 PM   #9
WebSlave
Jason,

I think most people posting on here have the knowledge and capability to cut and paste text as well as photos. I do see your point, and I wish things were different between Jeff and I, but I see no reason to continue helping bring traffic to his site, under the circumstances.

As for the suggestion to offer photo hosting, come on.... You can get a domain name registered for $15 per year. I offer domain hosting for $10 per month with 200 megs of storage. It don't get much cheaper than that.

Beyond that, this site already acts like a photo hosting site. Each photo uploaded from your computer resides on my server. If you need to use such a photo elsewhere, simply put your mouse cursor over it, right click and select "properties", and cut and paste the URL to it.

As an example, I just did exactly as I described above for the below photo:

Old 10-05-2003, 01:28 PM   #10
Seamus Haley
I'd just like to second a few of Jason's concerns...

There are situations where the text or photos attached to an ad are used as explainations of the bag guy behavior, when enough people see the ad before the bad guy tries to remove it to cover their tracks (or it expires), then there can't be any denial later on about wording involved.

Sure, it can be worked around and tip-toed around and anyone with ten seconds can find an ad on the other site if they know the category and who posted it, in order to verify that it said "male" or "CB" or "feeding" or whatever the potential misrepresntation might be... But in looking for it and loading multiple pages, MORE hits are generated than by linking directly.

There've just been a few too many times where people changed or edited an ad and then denied that it ever said anything different in the first place.

I see posting the links as being akin to locking down classifieds threads on this site... need to get it quick before they can cover their tracks and create any doubt. Locking them works on classifieds here on Fauna, getting a few people to verify what's said or pictured works "over there". Screen shots, saved text and even HTML can all be edited, so if it comes down to "He said, she said" then no result can be ascertained.

I can see putting an end to the "Look how much this person wants for this animal" type threads and maybe even the ones that Al and I tend to like where we end up discussing the validity of certain terms used and if it constitutes misrepresntation or not... There's no clear rip-off there, just some people griping. But for those instances where there is a real, tangible, viable BOI thread... the Ad and people seeing the ad as it was posted, are important in establishing credibility and helping others understand the situation.

Posting anything in any section on this site that simply links to another classifieds site where the point is to sell the animals advertised... That's just an abuse of this site and should carry penalties.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!