Bearded Dragon Question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-25-2010, 12:01 AM   #1
yourbeat
Bearded Dragon Question

My bearded dragon went to breed about two weeks ago and a few drops of blood came out. It seemed as though he pierced himself so I didnt allow him to do anything until today. When he went to breed today, he had "relieved himself" but there was also a pile of blood coming out. Does anyone have any idea what this means or what it is? Please pm me or post here and help me out. Thanks

Old 12-25-2010, 10:00 AM   #2
angie.h
Hey Anthony...a moderator will probably move this to the discussion forum for you but I will tell you briefly what probably happened. At times a male accidentally scratches himself with his own nails from his back leg when he is grasping the female. I have had it happen a few times. See if you can trim the nails a bit.

Old 12-25-2010, 05:30 PM   #3
polasian
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie.h View Post
Hey Anthony...a moderator will probably move this to the discussion forum for you

Anthony, you'll get more feedback here in the discussion forum.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:02 PM   #4
dragonluver83
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie.h View Post
Hey Anthony...a moderator will probably move this to the discussion forum for you but I will tell you briefly what probably happened. At times a male accidentally scratches himself with his own nails from his back leg when he is grasping the female. I have had it happen a few times. See if you can trim the nails a bit.
Def seen this alot with the toe nails. But every now and again, Its a spike on a females tail and when he pops his "hemipene" out it can clip there scale or spike and it will bleed that way. Sometimes you can prevent this by lifting the females tail out of the way. You will also get a better view if its a toe nail or a spike on the females tail. Just be sure to clean up the mess. he will be fine.
First year breeder?

Old 12-27-2010, 06:11 PM   #5
yourbeat
hey guys thanks for the info, it was actualy my fiance that posted that thread in a panic becasuse she got worried when she saw the blood which was quite a bit, but i said exactly what you have said in here. he hasnt changed a bit as far as how acts through out the day hes eating like a champ as usual and head bobbing like he wants another go. i do lift the females tail for him bc it seems to go much better that way and he doesnt have to thrash the female around as much. thanks for the help i appreciate it. ill give him another go in 2-3 weeks(if this breeding didnt take)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!