Kenyan Terrium set up? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-17-2007, 04:55 PM   #1
littlefilly25
Question Kenyan Terrium set up?

I am trying to decorate my Kenyan's tank but keep drawing a blank.

Do any of you have your cages decorated?

Could you send me pictures?

What plants are safe?

If there anything else I need/should know please tell me.

Thanks in Advance

Old 09-17-2007, 04:59 PM   #2
Otter_23
I found that when I tried to decorate my Kenyan cage with a rock water dish and other things that they were constantly trying to dig underneath them, so much in fact my female had worn a little spot on her head. I had to take everything out.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:14 PM   #3
littlefilly25
I have some medium sized rocks and a Queen's Tear plant and have had no problem. He mostly likes to stay under the rocks or in his humidity box.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:33 AM   #4
chimpkin
I use cork slabs a lot. Kenyans seem to like the feeling of having a little weight on top of them. The flat cork bark slabs provide cover and don't weigh so much that they have problems with rubbing against it. If you buy cork slabs you should put them in the oven for a while at a low temp. I have found bugs and/or small spiders on them before.

Another thing I do is take a piece of driftwood or grapevine and secure it to a slate tile as a climbing perch. You will be suprised how often a kenyan will climb on that.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:22 AM   #5
Ionlylookinnocent805
kenyans dont need "decorating" all they need is aspen shavings and a water dish and a heat source like flexwatt heat tape or an undertank heater (they prfer belly heat) also with my experience dont feed in the cage...get a 97Cent shoe box sterile lite tub @ walmart/target ect... as for moisture..near shedding time i just use a gladware container thats been cut out(like an entrance) and i put some wet paper towels in it....

Old 09-20-2007, 02:30 PM   #6
littlefilly25
I have always fed him in a plastic shoe box. I did research on this snake b/f I bought him. I have a zoomed heater on the side of the tank and a light that sits on the screen top.
I did decorate his tank and if I know where to post a pic I would show you what it looks like. You can't post them in the forum or in this post can you?
Thanks

Old 09-20-2007, 02:45 PM   #7
littlefilly25
Ok. I have posted pictures of my Kenyan Sand Boa Spot and his tank I decorated.
Let me know what you think.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:39 PM   #8
Ionlylookinnocent805
your snake could easily get hurt with all that stuff in there....

all they need is an undertank heater, a heatlamp(not light!) ontop and aspen shavings (safer..less chance of ingesting it)

Old 10-16-2007, 03:30 PM   #9
Otter_23
I hope the zoomed heater is on the bottom of the tank. Putting it on the side doesn't help the snake much, it is much more effective on the bottom of the tank (underneath). I also wouldn't have an undertank heater and a heat lamp. This gets it way to hot. If you haven't already try to purchase a PE-1 temp gun to get accurate readings on the temps of the bottom of the cage and buy a dimmer switch or thermostat to better keep the temps in a safe zone.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!