Calling all indigo keepers... - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-11-2006, 04:13 PM   #41
epidemic
A bunch on the way!

Matt,

I am awaiting a couple of the D. corais to complete ecdysis and I will be sending you skin samples from a pair each of all six of the available members of the Dry clan. If everything works out, I will have some samples from D. m orizabensis as well, should you wish to run them.

Best regards,

Jeff

Old 09-11-2006, 07:02 PM   #42
thesnakeman
Orizabensis???!!! Where?!

Old 09-11-2006, 09:32 PM   #43
matt rand
great responses!

thanks Gale and Jeff --

now we need to put our heads together and figure out how to get some skins from wild-caught specimens for comparisons. i have a few leads from the PARC list, but we could use more.

matt

Old 09-13-2006, 04:43 PM   #44
thesnakeman
Wink Here ya go

Matt,
I sent a sample from this couperi yesterday, and from this unicolor today. Keep up the good work.

Perhaps we should contact Victoria Davis and see what she says about collecting wild samples. Or even getting fresh sheds from George Van Horne of the Orlando serpentarium, and other Florida institutes who have wild caught couperi in possesion. If all is kosher with that, I am certain he would take part. At least I see no reason why he would not. Any way,...I sincerely applaud your efforts, and will help any way I can.
T.
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2006, 06:06 PM   #45
Eric East
I'll be sending you skins from my pair in the next day or 2.

Eric

Old 09-24-2006, 08:37 PM   #46
thesnakeman
Matt,
I noticed that a LOT of folks are looking at this thread. Are you recieving a proportional number of samples? I hope so!

Jeff, now tell me again about orizabensis! I'm waiting.
T.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:31 PM   #47
mmeade
How long do we have?

I want to send in skins from my adult erebennus. I have the male's skin, should I send it in or wait for the female and submit them together? Thanks for doing this!

Old 09-25-2006, 01:24 AM   #48
matt rand
we'll be taking sheds...

for at least a couple more months mike. if you want to wait for the female to shed, that's fine.

tony, no, we're not getting as many sheds as views of this thread, but that might overwhelm us. i think there is a lot of peripheral interest and some skepticism. some may fear that they have closely related animals and feel that no news is good news. as it is, we have enough sheds to keep us busy for a while. we'll be running out of money before we run out of sheds. we'll be applying for additional funds soon and there's discussion of getting a tech for the next year to help with the analyses. team indigo is still enthusiastic and it's fun being their cheerleader.

matt

Old 09-25-2006, 10:23 AM   #49
Malamute2k
I will be sending you samples from four Eastern Indigo snakes. They are yearlings who are growing fast, so it should not take long to get the additional samples.

Old 10-03-2006, 04:34 PM   #50
matt rand
update on the genetics...

we've run a single mitochodrial locus for nine snakes so far and have been able to identify only three different maternal lines so far. we have a total of 25 couperi samples to run and a small handful of unis and erbies (sorry).

we still need year-hatched data on a few sheds that have been received and we need any info you have on parentage. this will help us put a pedigree together.

please make sure the skins are dry before sealing them in a plastic bag. we've had some stinky and gooey sheds come through.

thanks for your help!

matt

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!