Two dragons in the same cage - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-22-2003, 09:39 AM   #1
mycurlylocks
Question Two dragons in the same cage

I was wondering, (since I am having greedy thoughts!) can I mix two dragons in the same tank if I get them at about the same age? I am looking at pictures and drooling, may have to try to get more than one.

Old 02-22-2003, 09:53 AM   #2
Clay Davenport
Yes you can house dragons together, provided the cage is large enough and they aren't both male.
I routinely housed them in trios when I was breeding them.

They will need to be observed closely at first. Sometimes you get an especially submissive individual who will be outcompeted for food.
If one appears to be dominated, a second basking site may be needed to eliminate competition there as well.

Communal housing was by far my preferred approach to breeding.

Old 02-22-2003, 12:32 PM   #3
Uffern
If they are still small, then you will want to keep a close eye on them. In my experience, when small, a second basking spot hasn't made much difference, as the stronger one will bully the weaker one regardles of where it is. I have also noticed that when small, the dragons will go for feet and tails more than when they are adults. The older ones seem to go more for the back of the neck. I would house them seperately at first, especially if they are coming from different breeders.

Old 11-06-2003, 02:11 PM   #4
IIIISIIII
I kinda of have to say BS to not housing two males together cause i have two males housed together not related but some same age and size and have never fought once there the best of friends. they dont avoid each other or anything and frequently bask together.

Old 11-06-2003, 03:06 PM   #5
Clay Davenport
The limited experience derived from maintaining just two males together cannot be used to base such a blanket statement. There's always exceptions, but the fact remains that males often do fight when housed together, and if there's a female in the area it's pretty much unavoidable. Just because your two happen to get along is no basis to discount the known facts about the species.
Sexually mature males are territorial by nature, and while you may sometimes find two submissive dragons that get along well, most often one will assume the dominant role and berate the other into submission which can in itself bring about several other problems.
Any attempt at housing two males together should always be in the absence of females and be closely monitored for several weeks after sexual maturity.

Old 11-06-2003, 03:30 PM   #6
IIIISIIII
i know plenty of people who have two or males together and never had a problem and in your own words "The first step toward discovery is casting off the restraints of conventional thought."

Old 11-09-2003, 11:30 PM   #7
Clay Davenport
The fact that males often fight when housed together isn't merely conventional thought, it's a known fact that will not be disputed by anyone with any real degree of experience with the species.

Old 01-17-2004, 03:18 PM   #8
AbstractCypher
I currently have two beardies housed together(1.1) and the male WON'T leave her alone. Horny little guy. So I had to create a divider. their in a 120 gallon tank so there's enough room to do so.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!