What's happening to the Rep Power? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 10-17-2005, 09:56 AM   #11
ms_terese
Quote:
I would have been a little more creative with dealing with this. Like when bcfos was doing this a while back you blew him out of the water and made an example out of him. The reputation system has been being abused for quite some time though, not just recently. Now there are (were) a few taking it too far, be it giving negative points just for the sake of making that person rise in the negative ratings or giving positive points to remove one from the negative position they were in. Either way the system was being abused. (Not knowing if it is possible or just too damn hard to do), I would have undone what these people had done and in turn zeroed them out for a set amount of time. Set up a very short set of rules that if it was done a second time a fine/suspension would follow and a permanent zeroing out.
This begs the question, just how much crap should the programmers/admin of this site have to go through in order to outsmart the people who want to abuse the bells & whistles? If I were Rich, I think I would have just deleted the entire thing.

Old 10-17-2005, 11:29 AM   #12
critical bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
WHOA....now we get "KARMA power"!?!?

I don't know exactly what it is..but I like the sound of it!
Karma power? Karma power is for members of marijauna growing sites.

"Yeah dude....heres some poz karma for the tips on the beardie breeding yo."

Old 10-17-2005, 12:00 PM   #13
WebSlave
Yes, I decided that "reputation" sounded too harsh. I have also had my programmer reset ALL reputation values back to 10, which is the default. There were too many "point wars" and abusive uses of the system, so I made some modifications (as mentioned earlier) and decided to roll back the entire system to start over. Sorry about this, as I know some people really valued the points they accumulated. But there was no way to do this any other way. It was either make this change or eliminate the system completely.

Old 10-17-2005, 12:08 PM   #14
Wilomn
As long as you're rolling back points, how about some of mine? I've got a few that I don't really need.

AHAHAhahahahahahahAHAHAHAHAHahahahahahaHAHahahahah aHAHAHAHahahaha

Seriously though, fair is fair. If you're taking some you should take them all from everyone.

Don't you think?

Old 10-17-2005, 12:15 PM   #15
critical bill
Tsk tsk....

With all the rollbacks...you'd think this place was owned by walmart.

Old 10-17-2005, 12:40 PM   #16
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilomn
As long as you're rolling back points, how about some of mine? I've got a few that I don't really need.

AHAHAhahahahahahahAHAHAHAHAHahahahahahaHAHahahahah aHAHAHAHahahaha

Seriously though, fair is fair. If you're taking some you should take them all from everyone.

Don't you think?

Perhaps. With the new warning system, anyone getting 10 or more points incrementally through minor infractions will automatically be suspended and fined. The way the code is written, once you get over 10 points, ANY additional infraction will automatically kick in the fine and suspension. This was done on purpose. I felt that after 10 points, you just aren't getting it and each additional point means you have a severe learning deficit.

So yes, if you have over 10 warning points on your record, you definitely need to be on your toes about how your post here.

Old 10-17-2005, 12:50 PM   #17
critical bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
So yes, if you have over 10 warning points on your record, you definitely need to be on your toes about how your post here.
I took ballet when I played hockey in college. I'm pretty good at the tippy toe, tippy toe, kind of play needed in the game occasionally.

Old 10-17-2005, 01:11 PM   #18
Wilomn
I'm more than willing to play by the rules when the rules really are rules. I'm also the kind of person to see how far the rules go. I've never denied it, haven't been malicious about it, have NEVER attacked any mod or Rich, have had my opinions but have not been out of line stating them, at least I sure don't think I was, and have also made a positive difference in several peoples dealings with others.

Throughout all of that, until just a couple of months or so ago, I thought there were RULES here.

There aren't. NOW I know that.

There are GUIDELINES which are much more flexible and subject to alternate interpretations when personal tendencies and personalities intermingle which can lead to just the confusion we've had here.

Guidelines are fine and dandy and are far better than nothing, but they do not carry the weight of something more stringent like a rule or perhaps a policy which is sort of like a guideline on steriods in that it may look bitchin if you're into that but really has no staying power.

It's a different set of rules or more like not-rules which makes the playing of the game different, more complex, but smoother looking from the outside in. Important that, don't forget.

I think you should have some sort of grace period though, even if it's only a week or two where you knock someone out of the site for a few hours or something for a first offence and then it's on for good. That way even if they did deserve it, or myself as is quite likely, you will have the good karma of not having totally kicked them off as a learning experiance that will not be available for long.

Or not.

It's a game with changing rules/guidelines.

Anyone remember Calvin Ball?

THAT was a good game. Be interesting if this turned out the way that did, neh?

Old 10-17-2005, 02:08 PM   #19
WebSlave
Call it whatever you want then. The results will be the same if you violate them, no matter what they are called. Sorry, but I already gave my specs to the programmer and the code has been coded. No matter how I implement it, not everyone is going to know about it, appreciate it, or think it was anywhere near fair. I am getting less an less concerned about that every day.

ANYONE who acts like a mature, responsible, self controlled and well balanced individual will never even know the rules/guidelines/lines in the sand are even there. What REALLY surprises me is when people get surprised that there ARE mannerisms that really are not appropriate for a publicly viewable forum like this. Matter of fact, it downright astonishes me. Often.

Old 10-17-2005, 02:12 PM   #20
Wilomn
What astonishes one, is commonplace to another.

Is one correct in astonishmet? Is one wrong for not being astonished? Who is to make that decision?

Is it important to this thread?

Any news on that poll?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!