Savannah Monitor not eatting - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
Skimo
Unhappy Savannah Monitor not eatting

Looking for some help with my new savannah. Bought him last week and he has yet to eat anything. He's about 6-7 inches. Tried small medium and large crickets coated and uncoated with calcium. Pet store says he was eatting when they had him. Cold side is about 85, hot side is about 100. In 20 gal atm. Using eco earth as substrate. Has a water dish to soak in, and have been giving him regular soaks in warm water in case impaction is the issue. He has two caves I built into substrate that he likes to hang in and he likes to dig. I have newspaper around the outside of tank to minimize stress in the new home. Any one have any other tips or advice? Family friend says to mix a hardboiled egg with ground turkey, gonna give it a try tonight

Old 07-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
hadenglock
Increase his hot spot to roughly 130 degrees farenheit, sav's need a really hot basking spot. Try other insects as well like roaches, superworms, mealworms, earthworms, etc. Try feeding pinkies too. Are you using UV lighting? A lot of people forget (or dont know) that UV not only helps prevent MBD, but also stimulates appetite and promotes a better well being. Are you seeing any feces in the cage? Consider taking him to vet for a checkup, a fecal exam will rule out parasitic infection.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
Skimo
He hasn't defecated since I've had him, granted that's only been a week. I'll pick up roaches tomorrow but they say he's only been fed crickets. He does have a uvb bulb. I'll turn on his night bulb to raise it, but he doesn't bask much. Sits in his caves or in dens he digs.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
Skimo
Could shedding cause him to lose his apetite? He's been rubbing his face on his log a lot.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #5
Casey Hulse
Can you post a pic? 6-7" sounds like a "bush baby", not captive hatched so there is a strong likelyhood that he may have a parasite load in him. I would get him to a vet for a fecal exam.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
Skimo
New to forums, how do i upload pics?

Old 07-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #7
hadenglock
make sure he is hydrated also, i spray down my monitors daily with heavy mistings and soak them at least once a week to ensure proper hydration.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimo View Post
New to forums, how do i upload pics?
here you go:
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=304671

Old 07-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #9
chairman
Give this site a read; it'll tell you just about everything you need to know about your sav. http://savannahmonitor.co/

Old 07-25-2012, 12:09 AM   #10
mialma09
Had a friend I went with to the petstore and he got a savannah as well, the little guy wouldnt eat either for around 8 days and he said he couldnt find any defication either. I tried helping him out with it and they way i got his to finally eat was mixing a little raw egg with some ground turkey meat and make little tiny turkey balls around the size of a marble and leave it in front of his cage or someby close throughout the night and check in the morning to see if he ate any. thats all i did for my friend and then after it started to eat a little more at a time i got more comfortable to eat in front of us and later went to crickets and pinkies. But its worth a try

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!