Heat emitter question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
Skimo
Heat emitter question

Going to be moving my savannah into a melamine terrarium here soon using a bar UVB and ceramic heat emitter. The terrarium is going to be 48Lx20Wx18H. Just wondering what size emitter would be good to use, and if you have any other suggestions for a light/heat setup.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
Digby Rigby
Arrow Dont use just one

For the most part monitors like high basking temperatures. None of our basking temperatures gets below 140 degrees Farenheit. Warm ends around 86 or so cool ends in the mid to high 60s. Savannah monitors are not small. Use smaller wattage lights arranged in a row for instance 3 40 watt bulbs will serve you far better than 150 watt or larger single bulb. It also allows the animal to thermoregulate its entire body. They do not regulate in shifts. Meaning it isnt good for them not to be able to get enirely under the basking spot. Its not like they warm up as much as they can half their length, then put the other half under the heat and everything is good.

Also by using lower wattage lamps arranged in a row, it allows closer placement of the bulbs to the animals, and if it touches a 40-50 watt bulb it wont burn itself.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:39 PM   #3
rosebud945
Hi, I am curious. Are you planning to use heat emitters and the linear UVB bulb only, or do you plan to include bright basking bulbs in your set up?

Old 08-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
Skimo
That was the original plan but after talking to people I'm not sure how I wanna do it.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
rosebud945
The reason that I asked is because those linear UVB bulbs are not meant to be the only source of light for diurnal reptiles. They should always be paired with bright basking bulbs, like halogens or regular incandescent bulbs. I keep desert lizards and I do not use heat emitters at all unless I need them in the winter overnight because to me, you can't have too much light for these guys if you have adequate hides.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!