keeping multiple amphibian species - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:26 PM   #1
woolleyfooley
keeping multiple amphibian species

Hey guys. New here but not new to animals. I want to keep multiple amphibians but i dont know which species will live together alright. I would like to keep red eye tree frogs and a couple other species (salamanders/newts maybe) in one set up. would this be possible? also in a different set up i would like to keep bullfrogs and something else. what would go with them? I'm not too picky on what to keep. Mainly just looking to keep a set up with red eyes and a set up with bullfrogs. All im looking for here is what other species will go with each to make a nice mini ecosystem. thanks for the help guys!

Old 08-16-2007, 12:39 AM   #2
Ed Clark
Thumbs up

Alex, do not even think about keeping anything with bullfrogs, they will eat anything that moves...even their young. they are also personable and interesting captives. and nothing beats the sound of a Bullfrog singing!

I have kept Bullfrogs for a long time and would recommend them as easy to keep. Good Luck

Old 08-16-2007, 01:07 PM   #3
woolleyfooley
Alright cool. Ahat would be the ideal set up for bullfrogs? I'd like to know what size cage to use, if there should be land/water, what to feed, humidity levels, temperatures(water and air), what substrate to use etc. Also, do you know any place to get good bullfrogs? Oh, and would it be possible to keep multiple bullfrogs?

Old 08-16-2007, 04:00 PM   #4
Ed Clark
You can keep bullfrogs of the same size together. they will eat anything that moves including small mice, but a diet of insects and earth worms is good. I like a larger aquarium like a 40 breeder set up mostly water. you will get all the humidity you need from the water, temps can be kept in the 70-78 degree range but can go alittle either way. your substrate will be mostly water with these aquatic frogs. keep an eye out in the amphibian classifieds for Bullfrogs for sale. I know that baby albinos will be showing up very soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woolleyfooley
Alright cool. Ahat would be the ideal set up for bullfrogs? I'd like to know what size cage to use, if there should be land/water, what to feed, humidity levels, temperatures(water and air), what substrate to use etc. Also, do you know any place to get good bullfrogs? Oh, and would it be possible to keep multiple bullfrogs?

Old 10-22-2007, 04:55 AM   #5
snakecatcher0101
make sure you put alot of vegetation in the water. they like alot of plants.

you could actually keep a mudpuppy in there if its the right size. mainly, close to adult size. the frogs cant eat under water and the mudpuppy is all aquatic. they get big tho and they would need a bigger tank then. DONT BREED BULLFROGS. there are already way to many of them and they eat all the other amphibians and reptiles. in washington and oregon there are only 600 western pond turtles and there found nowhere else, cuz BFs eat the babies. BAD.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!