My first crestie! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-29-2007, 02:10 AM   #1
Nagini
My first crestie!

Well I picked up my first crestie yesterday! He's so cute, I think he's a normal, but not knowing the morphs yet I cant say that for sure. Whatever he is I think he's adorable. I'm going to name it spaz due to it being an absolute spaz. Its just a juvie, so I dont know if its male/female yet

Old 11-29-2007, 02:27 AM   #2
Ed Clark
Alisyn, you have a Harlequin there and it may surprise you at nite when it changes color.

Good luck with that guy and Im sure thats the first of many to come.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:43 PM   #3
droogievesch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Clark
Alisyn, you have a Harlequin there and it may surprise you at nite when it changes color.

Good luck with that guy and Im sure thats the first of many to come.

Ed, I know you have been breeding cresties for a long time, but I do disagree with you about the morph. I would not consider that a harlequin due to the lack of patterning along the legs and sides. Instead, I would say that it is a really nice fire.

This is unfortunate about crested gecko morphs. What one person considers to be something, another person considers to be something else. It is a wonderful looking gecko, and morphs really don't mean much (in regards to how much morphs mean in other species). They just help describe what the gecko looks like, and don't really describe what its genetic possibilities are (for example, if you buy a dominate morph ball python you know that statistically 50% of its offspring would share it's morph, but since cresties aren't proven there is no estimate about the percentage of offspring who will share the given trait).

Old 11-29-2007, 08:17 PM   #4
Nagini
Hmm thanks for the info guys! Is there a good site that describes the morphs a bit better? I'd eventually like to get to breeding them when I get a good group going, but would like to do my reaserch on what morphs are so I can catigorize them better

Old 11-29-2007, 09:04 PM   #5
Ed Clark
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by droogievesch
Ed, I do disagree with you about the morph. I would not consider that a harlequin due to the lack of patterning along the legs and sides. Instead, I would say that it is a really nice fire.
Variable, I see some pattern on the legs and the side.

And a high flame morph with pattern on the sides is called a Harlequin by some.

Its all good, we all dont see everything the same way.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:39 PM   #6
Playnwifsnot
I see faint pattern on the legs also. But these guys can change a bit growing older. My little olive lime green gal was straight olive no pattern baby, she is now the olive/lime green tiger she is today

Pangea Reptiles has a nice small collection of "morphs" on their website. But this IMO is a not a full list. But it shows the more common types with great pics

Old 11-29-2007, 09:49 PM   #7
Ed Clark
Morph names can be a little regional as to what they call them, I was in Socal dealing with a Crested Gecko buddy and he kept referring to Harlequins as high Flame morphs as that was what they called them there.

Whatever...when in Rome.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:37 PM   #8
Nagini
Yeah, I took a look at pangea, some really nice geckos. Does anyone know of breeders that breed the green morphs? Thats my fav color XD

Old 11-29-2007, 10:56 PM   #9
Ed Clark
This is a very different Green, and they sometimes appear in my group.

Sorry, not for sale but you mentioned Green cresties and I thought you would enjoy this pic.
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2007, 11:02 PM   #10
Nagini
ooo very pretty. What combo usually brings out the green morphs?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!