Stuck Shed On Rosy Boas - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-19-2020, 09:14 PM   #1
Flatfish1
Stuck Shed On Rosy Boas

I live in arid southern California, which is perfect for my Rosy Boa. When I see my Long Tailed Boa go blue, I typically spray down the interior of her enclosure to raise the humidity while she sheds. I try to do this for all my snakes who need the extra humidity. But what do I do with my rosy boa? High humidity is not good for Rosy Boas, so I do NOT spray. I keep a VERY small water bowl in her enclosure. She just shed recently and this time has some stuck shed. Is it OK to soak her in some shallow water for a little bit, or is that a bad idea. Should I just let her be and trust that she will deal with it on her own? Thank you.
Wayne

Old 09-19-2020, 09:21 PM   #2
Socratic Monologue
I think it is the more extended periods of high humidity that affect rosy boas negatively. I personally wouldn't be worried about a short soak.

Alternately, you can wet a washcloth and let the snake move through it, holding firmly -- the stuck shed should peel off after a few passes.

Old 09-19-2020, 09:24 PM   #3
Flatfish1
Good idea. Thank you.

Old 09-19-2020, 09:56 PM   #4
Flatfish1
Update: Couldn't find a washcloth, so I used an old sock soaked in warm water. I wore it like a glove on my hand. It worked great! It was as if my rosy sensed I was trying to help her. She crawled through the damp sock several times and she was actually pressing up against it where the shed was stuck on her belly. It eventually loosened and came off with ease. Thanks for the idea Socratic.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!