First Beardie!!!! Any Ideas - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-25-2012, 12:37 AM   #1
Pythonbreeder99
First Beardie!!!! Any Ideas

Alright so I got my first beardie the other day, well my second beardie but I had the first one about 8 years ago when I was 12 so that doesn't count. I got her from Petsmart and have no lineage or anything but she looked vastely different than any other beardies there. Instead of brown and dark brown shes citrus green and red. Based on a google image search I believe shes female but I'm not positive. Let me know what you guys think of her. I'm no beardie expert and only know a handful of morphs off the top of my head and she doesn't fit any. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Oh and sorry for the crappy cell pics I lost the cord to my $200 camera

Cody
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
Mistyck
She's cute. :-) What do you want to know about them? I've owned them for over 7 years, they're neat creatures!

Old 11-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
Pythonbreeder99
Hey Brandi, Thanks!! She is a looker, and I know all the basics like they need UVA/UVB, a place to climb, they eat crickets, mealworms, and some greens and that there is a ton of color mutations like ball pythons. I now have 17 ball pythons and 1 bearded dragon lol but she is very cool!!

Old 11-25-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
Mistyck
Don't feed mealworms, it will impact them at that young of an age. Feed greens like collard, mustard, turnip, please don't feed her lettuce.

She is a looker, for sure. She'll have some pretty coloring as she gets older.

UVB is a must, I recommend the Repti-Sun 10.0 UVB Bulb (Florescent, not coil). You can use a regular household bulb (not the coil bulbs) for heat. That's all I do for mine.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
snowgyre
Brandi, I'm assuming roaches or crickets would be fine to feed? I'm considering purchasing a couple of dragons this summer to keep at the university I teach at. The students up here have almost no experience with reptiles or amphibians and I'm hoping to teach a herpetology class next fall. I haven't done much research yet but do intend to purchase a book shortly. Any references that you would recommend?

Old 11-25-2012, 04:31 PM   #6
Mistyck
Roaches are AWESOME to feed. Crickets are good, but roaches are awesome. I raised my boy I have now on roaches and he loved them. He refuses crickets now and will eat superworms (beardies 16" or longer). Hornworms, and silkworms are also good things to feed them. But Roaches are great!

Old 11-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
Pythonbreeder99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistyck View Post
Don't feed mealworms, it will impact them at that young of an age. Feed greens like collard, mustard, turnip, please don't feed her lettuce.

She is a looker, for sure. She'll have some pretty coloring as she gets older.

UVB is a must, I recommend the Repti-Sun 10.0 UVB Bulb (Florescent, not coil). You can use a regular household bulb (not the coil bulbs) for heat. That's all I do for mine.
I won't feed mealworms for a while, and I have the Exo-Terra 5.0 bulb right now (coil). And I thought lettuce was okay? If not I'll make a run to the grocery store, lettuce was the only thing I had in the house so I gave her a little bit. I made sure it wasn't Iceberg because I heard that was bad for them. And do they need light heat? Because I have a strip of heat tape on the backside of her cage right now running at about 95 degrees.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
Mistyck
Coil bulbs are not good for their eyes and that bulb has little to no UVB output. Lettuce has no nutritional value to it and will give her the runs. The greens i wrote are really the ones you want to stick with.

Yes they need a light heat, that's how they digest things. The UVB is just there to help them grow. The heat strip isn't good for her, as she can't feel heat from beneath her. Really I'd just put a regular household bulb in there for her and turn off the heat strip.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #9
Pythonbreeder99
Thanks for all the info Brandi!! I'll make the changes as soon as I can and already took the lettuce out and got some mustard greens in there.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #10
Mistyck
Good deal! I'm sure she'll be happy with the changes!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!