What size rats do you feed your adult female balls? POLL - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: What size rats do you feed your adult female balls(approximate weight)
Small(40-70 grams) 24 41.38%
Medium(71-100 grams) 12 20.69%
Large(100-150 grams) 15 25.86%
Larger(150 grams+) 7 12.07%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2007, 06:25 PM   #1
Jake The Snake
What size rats do you feed your adult female balls? POLL

Just curious what size rats based on an earlier disagreement on another forum.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:52 PM   #2
Larry Suttles
They all get smalls.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:59 PM   #3
jglass38
Jake,

I thought you were going to provide big breeders that have told you they feed mediums/larges? I don't think this poll qualifies.

For the record, all my adults, male or female get "small smalls". Slightly larger than weans.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:13 PM   #4
shrap
One mans small is another mans medium..... I consider 80-120 grams a small, which is typically what a 4-6 week old rat weighs. Which is the size I feed to all my adult Balls.

As long as you are not feeding a rat that is bigger than the widest part of your snakes body it is fine. There really isnt a right or wrong there. Just a matter of what works best for your snake and you.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:27 PM   #5
SPJ
So a 5 foot 4000 gram female should only get a rat slightly larger than a weanling? That would be a snack for her.

To make it easy for people to know what size I am referring to, I get feeders from Rodent Pro and all of my adult BP's get smalls except for 2 which get mediums (those are pretty large for BP's).

Old 10-03-2007, 07:30 PM   #6
Miss Tuniwha
I guess I cannot just chose one.. cuz some adults are greatly smaller then others. I have one that gets smalls, a couple mediums, and a couple larges. I don't personally think it is a one size eats all answer.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:35 PM   #7
Mooing Tricycle
Whatever prey i happen to buy that week mostly. Might be a few mice, might be a medium rat, maybe a bit larger. Just nothing that is obviously too large for the animal who is being fed. I stick to girth sized prey and smaller

Old 10-03-2007, 07:53 PM   #8
shrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ
So a 5 foot 4000 gram female should only get a rat slightly larger than a weanling? That would be a snack for her.
My really big girls get to eat as many 4-6 week old rats as they want on feeding day. Typically after two they are done. Once in a while they will take a third.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:57 PM   #9
SPJ
I would rather feed one appropriately sized prey item than multiple. That's why she gets the bigger size. Just easier to feed her and her digest it IMO.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:07 PM   #10
Jake The Snake
Well for an update, the debate is that even the largest bps don't need anything bigger than a small(about 50-70) gram rat lmao

I guess each person can keep their balls how ever they want and feed any size rat they want but I was told at an un named forum that it is basically in a conclusion unhealthy to feed your balls a rat anything bigger than 50-70 gram range. Other than put the ignorent name calling one sided man on ignore on all of the forums, I'll keep an eye on this thread seeing both sides.

My basic statement was that there are plenty of big breeders and keepers that feed larger than small rats to their balls and I simply stated that either way works, just feed what works best for you and your animals and all I got was a bunch of thats not oppinion, its fact about feeding balls(50 gram rats?!? lmao) and I am an uneducated and basically stupid guy. I think the one who continues to call someone out who is attempting to talk something out shows the maturity level of this one person who's name will remain unmentioned here.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!