What size rats do you feed your adult female balls? POLL - Page 9 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: What size rats do you feed your adult female balls(approximate weight)
Small(40-70 grams) 24 41.38%
Medium(71-100 grams) 12 20.69%
Large(100-150 grams) 15 25.86%
Larger(150 grams+) 7 12.07%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2007, 12:57 PM   #81
jglass38
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrap
YES!!! FINALLY!!!!

I have been trying to convince women of that my entire life.
Now THAT'S funny!

Old 10-04-2007, 05:09 PM   #82
Larry Suttles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib
My best friend does the exact same thing and ive never seen anyone get a snake to grow the way he does!
Who is this @hole you speak of thats hording in on our relationship??

I'm pretty much with Sammy here my rats don't live to be mediums. Between me feeding them off and Gib using his own garage door opener and taking rats in the wee hours of the night, I'm lucky to get them up to 4-5weeks.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:43 PM   #83
Jake The Snake
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglass38
It seems maybe you are making assumptions on what people do and don't know. Jake made some statements on the other thread that just don't make any sense. He was questioned about it by multiple people and decided to bring it here.

I have the utmost respect for Sammy (If only he had a male Pied instead of those 2 females!) and think he made a fine point.

Everyone should do whatever they want....
Brought it here because I feel that having more people than the clannies at this un named site, I said multiple times on the other forum that there is NO ONE WAY TO DO THINGS and all you wanted to do is argue with me. You are almost twice my age and you still are acting like you should be rolling around in pampers sucking on a bottle. Be serious. I tried to meet you half way on this discussion and my many attempts were pushed away with snarky comments.

As for the big timers or "pioneers"
TSK-100-200 grams
Dave Barker-10-14 week old rats("mediums")
Bob Clark-"I feed the largest rat they can eat. For most young breeders that’s somewhere between a large medium and a large rat"
Nerd-"Generally Mediums"
Mike Willbanks-As big as they will eat

On the contrary, I will say that there was 1 breeder that I emailed that said they feed smalls and that was RDR. I am in no way saying that either way is wrong or the only way to do it.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:52 PM   #84
Jake The Snake
Quote:
Alicia,

I am not sure where your crusade to save young Jake from himself started. I don't care. Feel free to search for old threads and you will see some of the things he has said in the past. Once again, he was suspended for a comment to a moderator that I won't repeat. Jake wants to talk like a man so quit defending him and let him fight his own battles.
I didn't ask Alicia to defend me at all. In this discussion I expressed my personal oppinions and that there is more than one way to do things. Never at any point did I call YOU any names, Never at any point did I say that the way YOU did things was wrong. Lets leave this forum for discussion and not bickering from either of us. Take it to PM if you wish to continue

Old 10-04-2007, 06:49 PM   #85
jglass38
Jake,

What exactly are "clannies"? As far as you wanting to take it to PM, it seems to me its because you don't want to come out what you did to get suspended (and almost permanently banned) and that what you said is the real reason behind your vendetta against people on "the unnamed" forum. I'm done discussing/debating/arguing it with you. Do whatever you like. I hope you are a huge success in your future endeavors!

Old 10-04-2007, 07:04 PM   #86
SPJ
If feeding live, I go smaller to minimize risk BUT since the most here take f/t, there is nothing wrong IMO of feeding them a meal that is appropriately sized which means a medium rat.

The smalls I feed are roughly 60-70 grams.
The mediums I feed are roughly 130-150 grams.

Now that means my smallest snake which is 700 grams gets one small rat weekly and my largest which is 4000 grams gets one medium rat weekly.

Since there is a range in the sizes I take the smaller or the larger of that particular size and match it up to whatever snake will be eating it.

There is no one size that everyone should feed. Feeding extra tiny meals is maintenance feeding IMO and I would rather not do that.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:06 PM   #87
SPJ
I just noticed that what I call mediums are what the poll lists as larges.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:06 PM   #88
Jake The Snake
Quote:
Jake,

What exactly are "clannies"? As far as you wanting to take it to PM, it seems to me its because you don't want to come out what you did to get suspended (and almost permanently banned) and that what you said is the real reason behind your vendetta against people on "the unnamed" forum. I'm done discussing/debating/arguing it with you. Do whatever you like. I hope you are a huge success in your future endeavors!
I was more than ready to post what I said, I just didn't want to bring things up that have NOTHING to do with this forum in anyways at all. Anyone who would like to know what I got a temp. ban from this un named forum for, please feel free to PM.

I'm done arguing with you Jamie. I stated that there are plenty of ways to feed balls and I said that none were wrong, I'm going to leave it at that. This argument has turned into an "Oh lets make Jake look like a fool" when in reality, it has nothing to do with me, you, or anyone else looking like a fool. It was a feeding poll and it was blown into a completely off topic thread.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:10 PM   #89
Jake The Snake
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ
If feeding live, I go smaller to minimize risk BUT since the most here take f/t, there is nothing wrong IMO of feeding them a meal that is appropriately sized which means a medium rat.

The smalls I feed are roughly 60-70 grams.
The mediums I feed are roughly 130-150 grams.

Now that means my smallest snake which is 700 grams gets one small rat weekly and my largest which is 4000 grams gets one medium rat weekly.

Since there is a range in the sizes I take the smaller or the larger of that particular size and match it up to whatever snake will be eating it.

There is no one size that everyone should feed. Feeding extra tiny meals is maintenance feeding IMO and I would rather not do that.
Iknow you said IMO but I am going to disagree respectfully. Many keepers and breeders feed smaller meals for a variety of reasons some range from better clutches to longer lived snakes to healthier snakes. I don't think that any way to do it is wrong or right, I'll say what we have all been trying to say, do what works for you and your animals

Old 10-04-2007, 08:38 PM   #90
Dr Owens
Quote:
I didn't use absolute terms.
You don't? What would you call this?
Quote:
There is not a SINGLE good reason to feed Ball Pythons anything bigger than a small rat.
Sounds pretty absolute to me...

Quote:
I said, this is what I do. I said, this is what others do that work for them.
Except you said on the other forum that it was "amazing" how "wrong" Jake was.

Now you're contradicting yourself...

Quote:
I'm pretty damn opinionated and how it comes across is open to interpretation.
It's fine to be opinionated, but when you're slamming somone else (for a valid opinion) because their way of doing things differs from your own...well, it's kind of ridiculous really. Especially when you're not all that experienced yourself.

Quote:
As far as what I produced this past season, 6 clutches of Ball Pythons.
Case in point.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!