OMG! Going Downhill FAST! - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-09-2008, 12:07 AM   #31
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
another PM coming your way, Steve.
Thanks. Got it and replied. Anything you (or anyone else for that matter ) can think of to help this guy, shoot me a note.
I want to do whatever I can to help him.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:10 AM   #32
SPJ
I can't believe how bad he looks and how fast this progressed.
Here he is about a month and a half ago.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:31 AM   #33
SPJ
From about 10 minutes ago. Poor guy.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:35 AM   #34
johns6068
I wish you and him the best. He's a really nice looking snake=) Hopefully you find something out soon

Old 09-09-2008, 09:39 AM   #35
SPJ
Just got a reply from Dr. Stahls office.

Quote:
He really needs surgery... and it has gotten very large and involved, so we would be concerned with the infection getting into the bone/blood stream at this point. (reptile pus is very caseous and needs to be removed surgically, not drained, every time) If he is still strong, has good muscular tone, the best bet would be to fed ex him down here for treatment. Or, if you’d prefer, I could set up a phone consult with Dr Stahl... maybe even have him talk to your vet to instruct them on what to do. He needs to be started on antibiotics, ceftazadime and Baytril every 3 days and meloxicam for pain/inflammation. you can fax the records to us at 703-281-3730 for now, that way they are here no matter what you decide as far as Dr Stahls involvement. Let me know, Jen

Old 09-09-2008, 10:04 AM   #36
TheFragginDragon
So what's the plan paisano? Would he make it ok via FedEx?

Old 09-09-2008, 10:12 AM   #37
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFragginDragon
So what's the plan paisano? Would he make it ok via FedEx?
Even if he did, I can't afford the price tag they just quoted me and my vet is not surgically competent IMO.

Quote:
I would imagine surgery/hosp(at least a month) would run about 800-1500.00
If your vet isn’t comfortable with the surgery, his only chance will be to ship. Let us know, Jen

Old 09-09-2008, 10:16 AM   #38
TheFragginDragon
Holy . I'm all for vets being compensated fairly, but Christ, that seems extremely exorbitant. I don't envy your position my friend, but I certainly wouldn't argue with whatever (and I mean whatever) decision you make.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:26 AM   #39
Junkyard
I would agree that it seems like the poking and prodding caused the infection to spread. Did you start antibiotics on 9-5-08? Is he showing any pain when the infection is touched? With the infection growing that rapidly, it may take a week and a half before any visible signs are seen that the antibiotics are working.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:28 AM   #40
Mooing Tricycle
i would at least start the baytril over the other antibiotics from the sounds of that other vets recommendation. Talk to the vet and see what you can do.

There is also a company called Care Credit. they are very good to use, and while you still have to pay for the money you borrowed, at least its not all AT ONCE.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!