Pastel without green eyes? - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-01-2008, 07:11 PM   #31
Mooing Tricycle
Unforunately deb, i have to side opposite with you.

Eye coloration is good to tell first off, but is not the only indicator. Coloration is a huge part, as well as key aspects OF that coloration. In this case, The flames, the COLOR of the blushing, and the patterning of the brown on the back of the animal * the stark difference from DARK orangey brown scales, to yellow, and scattering of them* as well as belly color, and patterning ON said belly.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:14 PM   #32
Miss Tuniwha
wouldn't the term.. pastel.. indicate it is lighter in colour then a normal? like.. albino, lack of black..

there seems to have been a LOT of debate on this lately

Old 11-01-2008, 07:20 PM   #33
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Clark View Post
btw, this is not a pastel.
Educate me, Ed - WHY is it not a pastel?
(and wtf is it?)

Old 11-01-2008, 07:20 PM   #34
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Tuniwha View Post
wouldn't the term.. pastel.. indicate it is lighter in colour then a normal? like.. albino, lack of black..

there seems to have been a LOT of debate on this lately
The thing is, Pastels carry a genetic trait. while it might not be being expressed as it should, it is still different than the normal, regardless of looks.

You could have the nicest lightest NORMAL in the world, and unless you proved that animal genetic, it would not be considered a Pastel, because it more than likely, will not pass its nice trait on. It might, but you would probably have to selectively breed them to get what you are looking for. and if it ends up genetic, well, you might have a new "morph" on your hands you would then have to prove its compatibility with the pastel morph, to be able to call it a pastel, IF it proved to make the super form of the pastel.

There are Vanillas, that lighten the color of other animals, and, in general are a lighter snake than a normal. ( if im remembering this correctly) They are still not pastels.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:24 PM   #35
stevek123
I was questioning the eye color information I had more than if he was a pastel or not. One parent I am told was a pastel, The breeder whom I got him from said he did not know the lineage. I do have a great looking pair of blondes and a bell female, and they do have green eyes.
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2008, 07:29 PM   #36
stevek123
and the pastel in question does have a grey head. Steve

Old 11-01-2008, 07:47 PM   #37
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle View Post
Unforunately deb, i have to side opposite with you.

Eye coloration is good to tell first off, but is not the only indicator. Coloration is a huge part, as well as key aspects OF that coloration. In this case, The flames, the COLOR of the blushing, and the patterning of the brown on the back of the animal * the stark difference from DARK orangey brown scales, to yellow, and scattering of them* as well as belly color, and patterning ON said belly.
We are still on the same side. I should have said not the ONLY reliable indicator.

I did have a BP that exited the egg early. It was sooo light that I was fooled and announced that I had a PASTEL (my first morph clutch). I was educated by a very nice guy that had been breeding for eons more than me and he was even nice enough to show that Normal that he had that had the same coloration.

I have since from this learned one true indicator is the eye color. There are other indicators, but because of my experience with premature hatchlings..I no longer go by color.

Therefore, as I said, it did seem to have a faded head, and I withheld judgement because I wasn't willing to risk my name on an "if."

The later pics that he posted did show greenish in the eyes...did you notice? I however, would not have went by just the coloration. There will be enough scammers later playing this game (light, pretty, blushing..it's a Pastel!) I still will go by eye coloration and thus remove all doubt (I haven't seen a Normal yet with greenish eyes).

Old 11-01-2008, 08:08 PM   #38
Bill & Amy
It's not a spectacular pastel, but it looks like a pastel to me. You can see some of the green eye coloration in the first pic on post #35. It definitely has a light head and clear belly. The pics on post #35 are the best for comparison.

Don't hold your breath Harald, Ed doesn't like answering specific questions. He still hasn't answered some from me after 18 months.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:15 PM   #39
hhmoore
Post #35, I thought, was his other 2 pastels.
And I can't even hold my breath for 2 full minutes...I exhaled quite a while ago

Old 11-01-2008, 08:16 PM   #40
stevek123
sorry to confuse you Bill, That is a different Pastel. I posteds that one in reference to green eyes. My mistake totally for the confusion.

I will try to post better pic's of his eyes later...I've got a late dinner to make for my kid first...he's starving.

Steve

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!