Will it be ok??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-09-2010, 01:09 AM   #1
joseydiann
Question Will it be ok???

Ok so the little one came all the way out of the egg today around noon or so!

A few questions though, as there are some things worrying me!

1. Is he supposed to be this small? I've never had or seen a new baby!

2. What about the big yoke sac he left behind? I thought they stayed in the egg to adsorb it all before coming out!

3. How many days before I offer him/her food, since his belly is flat and empty?

He really worried me there most of the day because he would not crawl just move his head and neck some, but he finally figured out how to use the rest of his/her body lol after a few trys..

However on a really good note, he is now moving all around the tank, went to the water dish and drank ALOT, and went in the hide a few times, and is now laying in the water bowl..

So anyway he looks like a normal to me, but what is up with the purplish look he has going on?? Is that common?

Oh and his in a 10gal tank right beside of me, on a heating pad, dry paper towels and a nice WET hide that he seems to like!
Please let me know if I need to change anything!

Thanks
Amanda

Old 07-09-2010, 01:15 AM   #2
Bob Kite
he does look small and there is alot of yolk left in there, I have had hatchlings as small as 30 grams survive just fine but on those few instances where I have had small hatchlings like that, it didn't come easy. Can you get a wieght on him? Can he hold his head up and is his tongue flicking alright?

Old 07-09-2010, 01:17 AM   #3
Bob Kite
Forgot to ad that it will shed within the next week or so, I would not try feeding him untill after that so as not to stress it out.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:19 AM   #4
The Python Lab
Wow. I never had one under 80 + grams. How big was the female who laid that clutch?

Old 07-09-2010, 01:31 AM   #5
joseydiann
She was pretty large, laid 5 eggs and already had the eggs in her when I bought her.

I'm gonna weigh him right now Bob!

And I was asking about food because as you can see alot of the yoke did NOT go into his belly so thought maybe he might get hungry sooner than most??? I don't know much about any of this!

Oh and YES he holds his head up just fine I was watching him drink! Humm don't think I have seen his tongue yet..

Amanda

Old 07-09-2010, 01:32 AM   #6
joseydiann
Oh wow he is only 27 grams guess that is bad huh?

Old 07-09-2010, 01:33 AM   #7
morph evolution
i totally agree with bob on this one...amanda some hatchling do survive in some cases...you baby i would say has a 50/50 chance to survival.usually healthy babies come out with therye eggs completely clean on the inside.just have faith and keep us posted.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:54 AM   #8
Bob Kite
27 grams is pretty small and as Brian said it's 50/50, the main thing is that it don't get stressed, it will not thrive if it is stressed.... If it were me, and I had that small of a hatchling, I would put him in a small shoebox tub with paper towel as substrate, keep it damp, give him a hide and try not to handle him much, wait till he sheds before offering food, I personally think a 10 gallon aquarium is way too big and all that openess may stress him out. Just my opinon though. Keep us posted.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:59 AM   #9
joseydiann
Ok no problem I have something alot smaller, I'll get him into it... As for handling him I have not picked him up or held him at all other than to weigh him just now and to take from the inc, and place him in the tank!

So the bedding or paper towels needs to stay wet or damp??

Amanda

Old 07-09-2010, 01:59 AM   #10
joseydiann
Also is that purple tint or him normal for new babies?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!