Will it be ok??? - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-16-2010, 06:10 PM   #41
joseydiann
Nope not yet, still clear eyes and no signs of shedding.. o.0

Old 07-17-2010, 10:52 AM   #42
PumpkinPython
I had a baby hatch this year under similar circumstances, but he weighed only 23 grams. I treated him like the other babies, leaving him with his siblings until (I thought) everyone had shed, then giving him his own tub and offering food 4ish days later. He snatched up the food (live pinky mouse) immediately and seems to be doing well, but he is now in shed. I don't know if he even shed the first time since he was in a group. Here he is, in shed after his first meal:

Good luck with your little guy. If mine hadn't taken his first meal I planned to try and assist feed him.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:00 PM   #43
Heart4Dragonz
Still nothing Amanda?

Old 07-19-2010, 05:27 AM   #44
joseydiann
Thank you both, and I'm very glad to hear another small one made it..

"SHE" is doing ok, I named her Willow because well we didn't know the sex and Willow sounded good for either sex I guess lol.. But did sex it and she's showing female.

I have a question and well as most of you know I've not been doing snakes long at all, maybe 3-4 months.

Anyway, what would the harm be IF it did eat before it shed?
I mean in the wild if it took it 2 weeks to shed and it came across something and decided it was hungry, it would eat right?

Amanda

Old 07-19-2010, 05:28 AM   #45
joseydiann
She is like 11 days old and no shed yet.. And no sings of it any time soon either. I have very high humidity!

Old 07-19-2010, 08:26 AM   #46
Matt2979
Wow...can't believe it's taking this long to shed, but Emily (a few posts up) seemed to have just gone through the same thing and fed hers before it shed. I've always followed the rule of not feeding before it's first shed. Unfortunately--now that I really need to know--I've never bothered to ask, "Why?".

I'm thinking that, because of it's tiny size and it never soaked up much of the yolk, it should be ok, as opposed to letting it shrink away. Just know that I am offering these words as support, but I have no facts to base my suggestions. In other words, don't act solely on what I say. Someone with better, (actual knowledge based) advice PLEASE help Amanda....and I'll pay attention so I have a better answer for someone in need next time!!

Old 07-19-2010, 08:47 AM   #47
joseydiann
Thank you Matthew, yeah I seen Emily's post.

I'm worried because not only did she NOT take in much of that yoke sac but she did take a small poop yesterday I'm not sure how though lol poo thing is so empty, but the point is she is even more empty and has not shed.

So I'm just wondering if in the wild and hungry, they would eat??

Thanks for your advice and input, hope someone comes along and answers it for both of us.

WAIT let me go check that out again REALLY close, is it very small and looks like poop but maybe it's a tiny ball of skin???

BRB

Old 07-19-2010, 08:49 AM   #48
joseydiann
Naaa, darn it was poop! LoL... Still not shed..

Old 07-19-2010, 08:50 AM   #49
Bob Kite
I too would have thought she would have shed by now, Amanda it is totally up to you, if you feel you need to offer her food, then do so, good luck with her

Old 07-19-2010, 09:17 AM   #50
joseydiann
Wooo glad you said that Bob, I just offered her a ft pinkie mouse and well it took her 2 seconds to find it and down it went..
Had no trouble at all and she seems fine.
She actually looks like she is looking for more, but I think we both feel better now with her eating just one! I'll see if she wants another in a few days..

I just could not handle looking at her thin, flat, sunken in belly anymore.

Now I just hope she sheds soon

Thanks so much guys, I would have really panicked without the advice and support.

I'm gonna give her a few hours then weigh her again!

Amanda

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!