For those that don't know what happened -- Respiratory Virus in Ball Pythons - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-26-2011, 05:44 PM   #41
KelliH
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossroy View Post
Well I just came across this and am pretty glad I did. I brought 3 snakes from him at a expo the year defore last and as soon as they shed the infection showed up(he had about 30 females he was selling). I lost them and two more. I had taken them to the vet and spent lots of money but with no luck. But lucky for me I had separated them when the signs showed up. He was at an expo about 4 months ago and his collection had dropped, don't know if he sold or they had died. I just hope that this doesn't spread it is very bad and when I see him again I can now confront him. Thanks for the info!
Roy, can you please go to the BOI thread entitled "Texas Herp Community" and post what show you saw Wyatt vending at? Did you see him yourself and are you positive it was him?

Old 01-26-2011, 07:05 PM   #42
hupababy_83
Can this be transmitted to ALL reptiles? BP, RTB, geckos, etc etc etc? Or just certain species? Or is it unknown do to lack of research? Any cure, vaccination, treatment? This is scary!

I am sorry for your loss and pain. I cried for your loss, and couldn't breathe ay the thought of the unknown casualties, affected, sold infected! Thank you for informing us and the education.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:13 PM   #43
Pink Lady Exotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by hupababy_83 View Post
Can this be transmitted to ALL reptiles? BP, RTB, geckos, etc etc etc? Or just certain species? Or is it unknown do to lack of research? Any cure, vaccination, treatment?
There is no cure, treatment, or vaccination. We tried a lot of different things -- every antibiotic that can be used on snakes, multiple anti-virals including Interferon, and even got a special FDA permit to import Colombovac, which is a vaccine used in Europe for birds to prevent them from contracting Ophidian Paramyxovirus. Birds are very closely related to reptiles and so was this virus related to PMV, so we thought it would be worth a shot. It failed.

I also kept 2 cornsnakes, about 6 kingsnakes, and 2 rainbow boas at the time. None of them showed any signs of infection whatsoever. But to be safe, they were put down with the ball pythons.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #44
hupababy_83
Oh darn! This sucks! So far I have read of 3 outbreaks of this sh*tty sh*t virus, have there been more?

Old 01-26-2011, 07:36 PM   #45
Lynn
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossroy View Post
Well I just came across this and am pretty glad I did. I brought 3 snakes from him at a expo the year defore last and as soon as they shed the infection showed up(he had about 30 females he was selling). I lost them and two more. I had taken them to the vet and spent lots of money but with no luck. But lucky for me I had separated them when the signs showed up. He was at an expo about 4 months ago and his collection had dropped, don't know if he sold or they had died. I just hope that this doesn't spread it is very bad and when I see him again I can now confront him. Thanks for the info!
are you sure that was Wyatt.. He has not been at any shows that I know of as a vendor for 3 or more years..

Old 01-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #46
Pink Lady Exotics
Updated list of victims that also suffered the same outcome or similar, due to the same cause (respiratory virus):

Jennifer Harrison -- Madison, WI -- Virus
Dr. Jason Brodnik, DVM -- Northglenn, CO -- Virus
Michael Ogburn -- Heathsville, VA -- Virus
Joe Ellis -- Virginia Beach, VA -- Stolen Animals (through a breeding loan with the seller that spread the virus -- the animals died of "unknown" causes while in his care)
Tim Bowles -- Unknown -- Virus
Matt Lehrer -- Florida -- Virus (purchased from Tim before the connection was made to the virus and to the source)
Roy Sample -- Dallas, TX -- Virus

Old 01-26-2011, 11:12 PM   #47
JoeEllisReptiles
I am so sorry for everyone's loss due to this virus. If anyone on the above list is trying to get back into the hobby I would be willing to help out as much as I can. What other info is known about this Virus?

Joe Ellis

Old 01-26-2011, 11:24 PM   #48
Pink Lady Exotics
Only reason I mentioned the list above is that there were other people that lost animals to this virus as well, possibly including you while they were in someone else's possession. It demonstrates that it was not a one-time issue and that is is very likely still out there. It's important that people know.

Unfortunately other than what is contained in my first post, there is nothing else known. All research on it was stopped due to lack of funding. I wish there had been more answers, because it left everything open-ended for me.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:22 AM   #49
Matt2979
Jen, are you saying that all of these people have/had the virus in their collections?? Or were just directly effected by it?

Old 01-27-2011, 07:37 AM   #50
Pink Lady Exotics
Directly affected by it (except Joe, who was indirectly affected by it). I have all the posts/e-mails that confirm each one.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
disease, illness, respiratory infection, virus