For those that don't know what happened -- Respiratory Virus in Ball Pythons - Page 7 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #61
hupababy_83
Ok I don't know if this has been brought up, but there is a form of staff that's resistant to antibiitics called MRSA. Yes I know this isn't staff, but ny point is, as a CNA I have seen many MANY people with weak immune systems on a PIC line. Which is a cath inserted in the artery threaded straight to the heart and pumping Hercules strong ABX to protect the heart from infection, and to spread thru entire body. Now.... if this virus is resistant to ABX is it possible to do something like a PIC line on our snakes?

Old 01-27-2011, 03:01 PM   #62
Pink Lady Exotics
I received a PM from Roy today, and needless to say I extremely frustrated. This PM had a completely different tone and structure than the others he has sent me, and is pretty much just regurgitated statements that a particular person posted in a now-closed thread. This person, along with others, contacted Roy privately and it seems like they pushed their opinions on Roy until he backed down, recanted, and regurgitated what they wanted to be said. What's even more disturbing, is that apparently there is ANOTHER seller in Texas with virus-infected animals, and he is refusing to discuss their name. This needs to be BROUGHT OUT INTO THE OPEN ON THE BOI so that no one else makes the mistake of purchasing from him and the virus isn't spread further.

Quote:
Ok to clear it up I had the wrong name, I remember seeing his name selling stuff not that long ago. But I came across this type of virus from a guy whos name I will not discuss. Sorry for the problems and I have discussed this with the people that put on shows in texas and they are looking to make sure he is not around. Sorry

Old 01-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #63
bossroy
So to help clear things up in this post, I thought I had the right guy and as I told Jen when I first came involed I was looking for the mans card. So today I made a call and found out that I made a mistake. It seems that this started alot of problems, as far as the virus goes I believe that it was the same type of virus because it was airborne and spreed really quick. I spent more money on vet bills than I did on the snakes and ended up loseing them. I can't prove weather the man knew if they where sick so I will not put his name out. I have been to lots of shows in arlington and have not seen any of these signs since. As far as people contacting me no one can change my mind and I have been as truthful as possiable. One thing that has not been proved and everyone should remember that no one knows exactly where this started and should always separate reptials before entering them into your collection, and you might want to wait alittle longer now. I hope this helps for it has been a learing experiance for me and that some fights you just can't win!

Old 01-27-2011, 09:24 PM   #64
TripleMoonsExotic
Roy, it would serve you and the community better if you named names in the appropriate place (the BOI). Knowing that there is a breeder in Texas selling animals with this virus and that you are keeping secret about who it is doesn't help the case for those who are opposing the situation. It just strengthens the argument about things being swept under the rug.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:51 PM   #65
KelliH
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenHarrison View Post
I received a PM from Roy today, and needless to say I extremely frustrated. This PM had a completely different tone and structure than the others he has sent me, and is pretty much just regurgitated statements that a particular person posted in a now-closed thread. This person, along with others, contacted Roy privately and it seems like they pushed their opinions on Roy until he backed down, recanted, and regurgitated what they wanted to be said. What's even more disturbing, is that apparently there is ANOTHER seller in Texas with virus-infected animals, and he is refusing to discuss their name. This needs to be BROUGHT OUT INTO THE OPEN ON THE BOI so that no one else makes the mistake of purchasing from him and the virus isn't spread further.
Yeah, surely it couldn't be that Roy made a mistake, could it. It had to be that he was strong-armed to write that. How silly.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:56 AM   #66
Pink Lady Exotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic View Post
Knowing that there is a breeder in Texas selling animals with this virus and that you are keeping secret about who it is doesn't help the case for those who are opposing the situation. It just strengthens the argument about things being swept under the rug.
Exactly my point.

Who cares where the virus originated, it probably came in on an import. The issue is that it is STILL being spread, whether knowingly or unknowingly, and that person needs to be made aware of it, so they can take appropriate action to STOP the spread of a deadly virus. The people that also vend at these shows with that person AND the people that attend these shows, also need to be aware so that they can protect their collections and their investments.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:48 AM   #67
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossroy View Post
So to help clear things up in this post, I thought I had the right guy and as I told Jen when I first came involed I was looking for the mans card. So today I made a call and found out that I made a mistake. It seems that this started alot of problems, as far as the virus goes I believe that it was the same type of virus because it was airborne and spreed really quick. I spent more money on vet bills than I did on the snakes and ended up loseing them. I can't prove weather the man knew if they where sick so I will not put his name out. I have been to lots of shows in arlington and have not seen any of these signs since. As far as people contacting me no one can change my mind and I have been as truthful as possiable. One thing that has not been proved and everyone should remember that no one knows exactly where this started and should always separate reptials before entering them into your collection, and you might want to wait alittle longer now. I hope this helps for it has been a learing experiance for me and that some fights you just can't win!
If would be helpful it you were to take this to the Board of Inquiry (BOI) and post a thread about your experiences and include pictures of the animals in question/vet reports/and the name of the seller?

Old 01-28-2011, 11:33 AM   #68
Tim Cole
Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahbroadus View Post
If would be helpful it you were to take this to the Board of Inquiry (BOI) and post a thread about your experiences and include pictures of the animals in question/vet reports/and the name of the seller?
Agreed and this was in my pm to Roy also.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:17 AM   #69
Pink Lady Exotics
Roy, have you thought any more about taking your information to the BOI? You need to realize that that is the ONLY way you will potentially stop that person from inflicting the same kind of damage to someone else that happened to you. Would you want someone else to suffer the same losses you did?

Regardless of the seller, please post here about what the timeline was for the illnesses in your snakes, the symptoms you witnessed, what tests were done, what treatments were tried, what the vet findings were, etc. It would be EXTREMELY helpful to this community to find out if you likely suffered the same virus that went through my collection, as it is so new and unknown thus far. Please consider the helpful impact your experience and information could have.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #70
Pink Lady Exotics
Well, apparently they FINALLY identified and named this damn virus:

http://www.vetmed.ufl.edu/2012/07/19...w-snake-virus/

Unfortunately there seem to be a bunch of new cases destroying collections right now as I know of 3. I asked them to come post here. Still making its way through our hobby.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
disease, illness, respiratory infection, virus