How small is to small? - Page 8 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-24-2011, 10:33 PM   #71
snakesRkewl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cp3_Pythons View Post
Correct me if Im wrong but I've always been told NEVER feed an item of prey thats bigger than the biggest/thickest part of the Ball Python/snake in question...
They can easily eat larger than their largest girth BUT if you like them to eat weekly and not go off feed over and over you feed them more appropriately sized meals.
I prefer twice a week with the two meals adding up to 15% of the "females" body weight. I stick closer to 10% for males.
I have seen ball pythons(not mine) eat some pretty huge meals with no consequences other than not eating for the next week or two.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:53 PM   #72
Cp3_Pythons
I keep the meals decent but nothing that would be considered too big or questionable in size

Old 01-24-2011, 11:08 PM   #73
Joe_S
I personally disagree with Jerry's practice but he's right. Smaller meals, higher frequency, higher temperature and there's one last piece that will even push it over the top but I've been asked not to share that information. So anyway, the whole debate seems to have swung from that of sexual maturity to feeding practices. *shakes head* In any case, any other people have any more information with regard to females who are of age but under weight and the health issues that either do or don't ensue when they become gravid and lay a clutch of eggs?

Old 01-25-2011, 01:37 AM   #74
snakesRkewl
*sorry, got off track*

Old 01-25-2011, 02:43 AM   #75
rcpreis3
Heres a classified where a breeder has expirience breeding their girls small. She has mentioned if there was any questions pertaining to the size to PM her.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=222810

Old 01-25-2011, 02:52 AM   #76
Cp3_Pythons
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpreis3 View Post
Heres a classified where a breeder has expirience breeding their girls small. She has mentioned if there was any questions pertaining to the size to PM her.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=222810
I tried to Pm them informing them of the thread hoping they could Share and spill some of there knowledge apon us since they have exp. with this and the subject as I too am interested in learning more on the subject as well Now and if its placed inside the thread they wouldn't have to repeat it in Pm's

Old 01-25-2011, 06:28 PM   #77
R. Eventide
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrept View Post
to say its not a perfect situation in the wild is kind of crazy when you think about it. yes they do not have the pretection we give them or the once a week meals, but it as nature intended people survival of the fittest, we keep snakes in small shoe boxes stuff them with meals more than they need breed them every year and whats healthy about that? don't get me wrong but i think people try to play to much like the savior of the animal planet, mother nature was doing fine with out our help, we all keep them for either love of the animals, money, or some variation. if you think you are saving the species because you breed you are crazy and thats a lame excuse to justify why you are keeping them.
I honestly don't know where this came from, as no one here--from what I can tell, anyway--even remotely mentioned anything of the sort.

My argument was simply that "it's okay because it happens in the wild" is not only an illogical statement but it could also easily put animals at unnecessary risk.

Quote:
now my rant is over I do believe in the wild they breed at smaller sizes with no ill effects. i personally start my females out around 1200 grams if they look good and they always give them time off from breeding so not to burn them out.I still find it hard to believe that a female can attain a size of 1500 grams in an 18 month period with out feeding more than once a week or feeding oversized meals i would love to see a growth chart for a known average growth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post
It's probably not possible.
I put up growth charts for my snakes a month or so ago; you can check those if you like. At any rate, yes, it is entirely possible to get a female to 1500 grams in 18 months without feeding more than once a week and without power-feeding. I have a Red Axanthic/Het Red Axanthic pair of siblings who are the fastest growers I've ever seen. (Which isn't really saying much, as I have only documented BP growth with my own.) They both only get one small rat a week (and have been since they were big enough to take small rats) even though they often wanted more than one. (The only times they actually did get more than one is when I had an extra I didn't want to waste. Even then, I didn't force it--they took 'em on their own.) I'm not at home right now to get the exact numbers, but at ~12 months of age, the female was ~1500 grams and the male was ~1300. They've also been my best eaters; up until this fall, the female had only refused food once in her entire life (over a year), so I'm certain that helped a ton. Given that they are siblings and that none of my other snakes have ever grown anywhere remotely that fast, I suspect it's a genetics thing. These two, for some reason or another, just grow like crazy. I'd love to know if their parents and/or siblings are the same way.

Quote:
Correct me if Im wrong but I've always been told NEVER feed an item of prey thats bigger than the biggest/thickest part of the Ball Python/snake in question...
I've heard this, too, and I agree with it. It's not that if you feed a BP a too-large prey item they'll automatically die. It's the risk that they could. It's far more likely for a snake to choke, regurge, hurt themselves, etc. with too-large prey items than smaller, more appropriately-sized ones. Not to say the opposite doesn't happen (it surely does); it's simply that larger prey ups the risk, and some (I would hope most) are unwilling to take that risk and recommend to others they don't either.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:35 PM   #78
Cp3_Pythons
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Eventide View Post
I've heard this, too, and I agree with it. It's not that if you feed a BP a too-large prey item they'll automatically die. It's the risk that they could. It's far more likely for a snake to choke, regurge, hurt themselves, etc. with too-large prey items than smaller, more appropriately-sized ones. Not to say the opposite doesn't happen (it surely does); it's simply that larger prey ups the risk, and some (I would hope most) are unwilling to take that risk and recommend to others they don't either.

The reason Im asking or inquiring on it is becuase I feed a Large Rat to my larger Ball Pythons ( One Female in paticular as she's 2200 grams and about big around as a 12 oz soda can if not bigger
If I was to feed her 2 small rats twice a week they wouldn't weigh in at the same as a large rat does thus lessing her intake of food She's not overweight by no means nor underweight Im honestly trying to understand this better But im not getting it

I apologize to the OP for continuing to get off track in the thread Im not meaning to Im just curious

Old 01-25-2011, 07:55 PM   #79
Matt2979
Quote:
The reason Im asking or inquiring on it is becuase I feed a Large Rat to my larger Ball Pythons ( One Female in paticular as she's 2200 grams and about big around as a 12 oz soda can if not bigger
If I was to feed her 2 small rats twice a week they wouldn't weigh in at the same as a large rat does thus lessing her intake of food She's not overweight by no means nor underweight Im honestly trying to understand this better But im not getting it

I apologize to the OP for continuing to get off track in the thread Im not meaning to Im just curious

I have several girls over 2000 grams (some well over) and I usually give them large rats during the off-season. If I fed med's, I'd have to feed them a medium every 4-5 days, but I think 1 large rat, 1 time per week is better.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:03 PM   #80
Cp3_Pythons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2979 View Post
I have several girls over 2000 grams (some well over) and I usually give them large rats during the off-season. If I fed med's, I'd have to feed them a medium every 4-5 days, but I think 1 large rat, 1 time per week is better.
Matt Thanks I do the same when there breeding I offer food to them but its a smaller meal than what they usually get I just wanted to make sure the way I was feeding was appropriate and that the size of the meal was appropriate as well.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!