How small is to small? - Page 9 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-25-2011, 08:50 PM   #81
Joe_S
I have females nearing 4,000 grams, several of them, most of them are 2,500-3,500 and all of them receive one small rat every seven days. All of them constantly grow and bounce back very quickly after laying a clutch. There have been studies run by someone I know very well that suggest that two smaller meals actually provide more nutrients than one large meal due to the energy needed to process that large meal being exponentially greater. He doesn't like to share his exact data but he took several groups of animals and conducted feeding studies on them to figure out the fastest way to grow a ball python up without needing to power feed. I'm sworn to secrecy on a few things but I can tell you this, bigger isn't better in this case.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:04 PM   #82
Cp3_Pythons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_S View Post
I have females nearing 4,000 grams, several of them, most of them are 2,500-3,500 and all of them receive one small rat every seven days. All of them constantly grow and bounce back very quickly after laying a clutch. There have been studies run by someone I know very well that suggest that two smaller meals actually provide more nutrients than one large meal due to the energy needed to process that large meal being exponentially greater. He doesn't like to share his exact data but he took several groups of animals and conducted feeding studies on them to figure out the fastest way to grow a ball python up without needing to power feed. I'm sworn to secrecy on a few things but I can tell you this, bigger isn't better in this case.
Please dont take this as an insult nor to be disrespectful but if is this case then the information you have shared here would be he said she said third party information correct? Your telling us the information that a breeder has personally gathered collected and studied But yet your not allowed to speak his name... Why would a breeder who has studied and actually personally researched this information share the findings but ask for his name not to be spoken on the information.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:56 PM   #83
Joe_S
That's the point, he didn't want it shared. If he wanted it shared he would have posted it somewhere I am sure. I probably should have just kept my mouth shut. Yes, it is hearsay and I have no proof of what I said.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:46 PM   #84
hhmoore
I've got an 06 female that eats great...when she eats. The problem is that she'll feed well for 3-4 months, then stop cold. When she's off, NOTHING tempts her. Finally, after however many months, she will deign to take a meal; then, if I do things just right, she'll take another in a week or two. Something will click, and she'll eat every week till she goes off again. She'll usually only take one prey item each feeding, whether it is a mouse or ASF - no rats, thank you. For a while, I was able to sneak another mouse, or small rat in by holding it in front of her as she finished - she'd just move forward, open up, and take it. That lasted for about one cycle . After that, I occasionally introduced a second prey item as the first one went down (yeah, I know - save the comments...my snake, my choice). That didn't work for much longer...now, she'll get the second one part way down, realize it, and spit it out.

She was just about up to 1200g when she stopped...and dropped to a little over 1000g before she took an ASF this week. One of my males has been copulating with her, and she'll probably ovulate when she peaks out on her feedings. If it took, great. If the babies share her feeding habits, she'll probably never get bred again.

As for the multiple animals in a burrow - I can't speak for BPs, but I can say that many colubrids manage it. Instead of conventional constriction, they'll force the rodents up against the wall of the burrow with their body...often managing to kill them in the process; but, if not, they are held until the snake can give each one the attention it deserves. Depending on the situation (ie, how much they are fighting, and how easily they are restrained), the snake may kill and eat them individually, or kill them all and eat them afterwards.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:07 AM   #85
Joe_S
I can certainly understand you frustration Mr. Moore, I have a bp who had a similar issue with eating. At first it never refused a meal until about 800 grams and then has slowly worked up to 1000 over two years. Two very very frustrating years. As for offering a second meal in any manner, eh, that's up to each individual keeper and unless you're trying to force feed a second meal I don't see why you should be nervous of reprisal. However, I am eager to hear the results of these many copulations. That really does peak my interest, probably why I started this thread. As for the rest of your comment, well I've never been in a rodent burrow being raided by a reptile of any kind so I would have to admit that it would be plausible.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:20 AM   #86
ed hummel
Quote:
Females skip years sometimes, aren't receptive to certain males sometimes and other issues that are totally unrelated to weight.
are we talking women or snakes

Old 01-26-2011, 02:30 AM   #87
hhmoore
Quote:
I've never been in a rodent burrow being raided by a reptile of any kind so I would have to admit that it would be plausible.
Drop 4 live mice in a tank with an adult king or bull snake, and watch the fun

Oh - I'm not nervous about the reprisal, I can hold my own in discussion, lol.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:52 PM   #88
gsrept
i have a female lesser that ha hit a wall 800 grams and guess what i do not want to eat anymore she has been off feed for about three months i just ignore them when they are like that and they will come back around when they are ready..

Old 01-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #89
R. Eventide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cp3_Pythons View Post
The reason Im asking or inquiring on it is becuase I feed a Large Rat to my larger Ball Pythons ( One Female in paticular as she's 2200 grams and about big around as a 12 oz soda can if not bigger
If I was to feed her 2 small rats twice a week they wouldn't weigh in at the same as a large rat does thus lessing her intake of food She's not overweight by no means nor underweight Im honestly trying to understand this better But im not getting it

I apologize to the OP for continuing to get off track in the thread Im not meaning to Im just curious
Oops! I guess I need to watch my wording! I've been referring to over-sized prey items, not just "large" ones. Sorry about that!

I have no idea if more small prey items are better than fewer large ones, and I have yet to find any evidence one way or the other. I'd do some research myself, but I really don't know how to go about testing that. I'd need a decent sample size (and cooperative snakes) to make any results significant, anyway, and that I don't have yet.

I've heard the nutrient argument, but I'm not sure if it's true. Multiple small rodents may offer more calcium, etc. than one larger one, but then again, the larger prey item has more calcium, etc. in it because it's larger. How does the amount of nutrients compare between large and small prey items and if there is a difference, is it significant enough to affect the health of the snake? Don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
As for the multiple animals in a burrow - I can't speak for BPs, but I can say that many colubrids manage it. Instead of conventional constriction, they'll force the rodents up against the wall of the burrow with their body...often managing to kill them in the process; but, if not, they are held until the snake can give each one the attention it deserves. Depending on the situation (ie, how much they are fighting, and how easily they are restrained), the snake may kill and eat them individually, or kill them all and eat them afterwards.
Another thing they might do is block the entrance to the burrow with their body. Then they can eat at their leisure. I don't know if BPs do this, but I bet some snake species do.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:46 AM   #90
Focal
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Eventide View Post
Oops! I guess I need to watch my wording! I've been referring to over-sized prey items, not just "large" ones. Sorry about that!

I have no idea if more small prey items are better than fewer large ones, and I have yet to find any evidence one way or the other. I'd do some research myself, but I really don't know how to go about testing that. I'd need a decent sample size (and cooperative snakes) to make any results significant, anyway, and that I don't have yet.

I've heard the nutrient argument, but I'm not sure if it's true. Multiple small rodents may offer more calcium, etc. than one larger one, but then again, the larger prey item has more calcium, etc. in it because it's larger. How does the amount of nutrients compare between large and small prey items and if there is a difference, is it significant enough to affect the health of the snake? Don't know.

Another thing they might do is block the entrance to the burrow with their body. Then they can eat at their leisure. I don't know if BPs do this, but I bet some snake species do.

I also have no clue about the larger vs smaller feeding cycle but it's been on my mind for years and I've been able to figure out a couple things that could come into play.

Fat deposits. Larger rats are going to be fatter than smaller rats period. Fat in rats equate to fat in snakes IMO. I don't see smaller snakes taking a benefit of extra fat at such a young age. Adult breeder females, yes. Although this may have nothing to do with snakes, but with humans, a larger meal will go to fat more than a multiple smaller meals. Small, growing snakes can thrive off of lean, calcium filled meals.

The calcium and bone amount is a good argument. I would be quick to believe that two small rats would have more calcium than a large rat but with no evidence. They would have more fur, but does fur provide nutritional content?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!