What to do about a weird situation? - Page 8 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-03-2007, 05:29 AM   #71
hhmoore
Kristin,
I have not offered much in the way of advice to you on this subject (though I have commented on the value of some, and tried to explain a few things for you). Ready or not, here is MY advice, and some commentary.
One of the best, and worst, things about online forums is that anybody and everybody can voice their opinion, give advice, etc. There are a couple of steps that one should take when asking for assistance. #1 try to get some idea of the experience & knowledge level of the people that are advising you. #2 read and try to make sense of the various suggestions and comments.
#3 figure out whose advice you are going to take, and follow it. That is a very important part of this puzzle. As I mentioned earlier, there are a number of ways of approaching the same problem, and any combination of them may, in fact, be effective. The problem is, as you are experiencing, when you ask a variety of questions of a diverse group of people, you will get a lot of advice that doesn't match up. It doesn't mean that any of those people are necessarily wrong (this is where getting a feel for the individuals comes into play), just that they have had success using different methods. If you don't focus on the advice of a select few, you will find yourself turning from one person to the next...thinking what they say makes sense, and should work. You try to incorporate their information into your situation, then are pushed/pulled in a different direction by somebody else. From what I have seen, you ARE trying to do what is best for your snake, but, frankly, by asking so many people for advice, you've got your head spinning (and bits of all the various responses floating around inside). The net result of that? You get confused and frustrated, and a bunch of people get frustrated with you because you aren't doing what they said. Maybe you started to, but then your focus was diverted by somebody else.
Don't worry about pleasing everybody - choose a person, or a few select people, to listen to and try what they tell you...the way they tell you. Trust me, you cannot incorporate everybody's ideas into one master plan. I have seen several strategies laid out for you here on Fauna - all differing in some ways, but all fundamentally sound, none the less. Just pick one and run with it.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:03 AM   #72
LadyOhh
Absolutely 100% agreed!!!

This has been going on for too long, and you are probably stressing out your snake more by going back and forth than actually just sticking with ONE set of advice.

You keep asking EVERYONE, and then get upset that people are giving you different advice.

Just try ONE technique, and if that doesn't work after several MONTHS, try another.

Some people have lots of experience, and some don't. Do you even know what these people have before you ask them??? Maybe you should find out and stick with those with more experience??? Just a thought, as you have complained constantly about the NON Herpers.......

Old 05-03-2007, 09:31 PM   #73
Leighanne
I am left speechless, except good post HHMoore.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:41 PM   #74
Leighanne
Thought of it!! I DO follow certain people with devotion, I think you could say?

HHMoore, Clay Davenport, Marcia McGuiness, Cat, TripleMoons Exotic, Cheryl Mack? and Northern Regius are good ones. John Apple and Dand for sure. Jen Harris is a good one, but I see what you see there about different ways of doing things. There are a few more but Thats the jist of it and if I don't know you I don't trust what you have to say. It does take time. All I'm saying is that I see what your saying.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:15 AM   #75
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighanne
Hot side 92 cool side 86, and humidity 65%. I just woke up and just checked. I wonder why her cool side is so high this morning?

THAT right there is probably why she isnt eating. The heat is definitely stressing her out. I keep my animals at 85-88 on the hot side MAX and 75 -78 on the cool. Lower your temps, and put humidity at 55-60%

If those temps are any higher then thats probably why you have a nonfeeding snake.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:53 AM   #76
hhmoore
Again, keep in mind that individual snakes will respond to different stimuli in different ways. I have BPs (and other boids), that when kept in an 84 degree room eat well, and some that are sporadic. Add a bit of supplemental heat, and some go off feed entirely; while others become eating machines.
I was left with the impression that having the "low" temp that high is unusual, in her regular set up. Now is the time of year that people need to be conscious of the fact that when a room warms up, ambient cage temps will increase...even if there is a thermostatically controlled heat source. (as the room warms, that 92 degree hot spot will have a greater overall effect on enclosure temperatures, so the "cool side" is not so cool.) Brief periods of fluctuation are normal, and do not warrant much fussing; but if the temp range gets TOO out of whack, or stays there for too long, adjustments need to be made. The glory of combining digital thermometers and thermostats is that the monitoring and adjusting are made significantly easier.

The temperature consideration is valid, Alicia, but it may not have anything to do with the snake not eating. Kristin, before you respond by changing anything in your set up, don't (yet). Step back and think about the various things that have been suggested. Leave things alone for a few more days, as long as the temps do not get any higher, then offer a meal - whether that meal should be live, f/k, or f/t is a matter of some debate. If she does not eat, look at everything and select ONE thing to change. It can be type of prey, enclosure related, temperature related, etc, but only change one thing. If you aren't sure which way to go, discuss it with one or two of the members you are comfortable with. Changing more than 1 thing at a time is haphazard, and, while you may get lucky and stumble on a combination that works, you won't know what piece did the trick (so if this ever happens again, you will be in essentially the same boat)

Old 05-04-2007, 01:13 AM   #77
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
Again, keep in mind that individual snakes will respond to different stimuli in different ways. I have BPs (and other boids), that when kept in an 84 degree room eat well, and some that are sporadic. Add a bit of supplemental heat, and some go off feed entirely; while others become eating machines.
I was left with the impression that having the "low" temp that high is unusual, in her regular set up. Now is the time of year that people need to be conscious of the fact that when a room warms up, ambient cage temps will increase...even if there is a thermostatically controlled heat source. (as the room warms, that 92 degree hot spot will have a greater overall effect on enclosure temperatures, so the "cool side" is not so cool.) Brief periods of fluctuation are normal, and do not warrant much fussing; but if the temp range gets TOO out of whack, or stays there for too long, adjustments need to be made. The glory of combining digital thermometers and thermostats is that the monitoring and adjusting are made significantly easier.

The temperature consideration is valid, Alicia, but it may not have anything to do with the snake not eating. Kristin, before you respond by changing anything in your set up, don't (yet). Step back and think about the various things that have been suggested. Leave things alone for a few more days, as long as the temps do not get any higher, then offer a meal - whether that meal should be live, f/k, or f/t is a matter of some debate. If she does not eat, look at everything and select ONE thing to change. It can be type of prey, enclosure related, temperature related, etc, but only change one thing. If you aren't sure which way to go, discuss it with one or two of the members you are comfortable with. Changing more than 1 thing at a time is haphazard, and, while you may get lucky and stumble on a combination that works, you won't know what piece did the trick (so if this ever happens again, you will be in essentially the same boat)

I agree,

You get this alot in computers too when there is a problem, but you are NOT sure whats causing it. Most Technicians, if they dont know the problem, will sort things out by the process of elimination.

This is how you should be ruling out your ball pythons feeding problems. Change things SLOWLY one at a time, while keeping a calm atmosphere for your snake. Usually leaving things for a time before putting things back to normal, and trying a different idea instead.

eventually you might find that one thing seems to spark some interest, but something else is still keeping things from clicking with her. once you have tried everything once. maybe try a combination of things, say, FOR EXAMPLE, lowering the heat, and trying a certain type of prey. if that dosnt work, you might try keeping the heat lower, but then trying again, a different kind of prey maybe even scenting. Eventually, you will find a combination that works, and she will then eat for you.

just take things slowly, and calmly. So long as she isnt losing any visible weight, you DO NOT have to worry. I had a female go off feed for 4-5 months on me last year. Ill tell ya, it wasnt fun, but she was FINE.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:25 AM   #78
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle
I agree,

You get this alot in computers too when there is a problem, but you are NOT sure whats causing it. Most Technicians, if they dont know the problem, will sort things out by the process of elimination.

This is how you should be ruling out your ball pythons feeding problems. Change things SLOWLY one at a time, while keeping a calm atmosphere for your snake. Usually leaving things for a time before putting things back to normal, and trying a different idea instead.

eventually you might find that one thing seems to spark some interest, but something else is still keeping things from clicking with her. once you have tried everything once. maybe try a combination of things, say, FOR EXAMPLE, lowering the heat, and trying a certain type of prey. if that dosnt work, you might try keeping the heat lower, but then trying again, a different kind of prey maybe even scenting. Eventually, you will find a combination that works, and she will then eat for you.

just take things slowly, and calmly. So long as she isnt losing any visible weight, you DO NOT have to worry. I had a female go off feed for 4-5 months on me last year. Ill tell ya, it wasnt fun, but she was FINE.

Sorry, i need to comment on this, while its a little contradicting to what Harald has said, TAKE his advice to heart. Try one thing. and one thing only at a time for now. Do things Weekly until you find something that seems to work.

once you have tried EVERYTHING, then work on combinations, but again, do them by the same process of elimination, by keeping one thing the same, but switching the second thing.

Hopefully this makes sense. <3 I wish you luck with her though, truly.

Old 05-04-2007, 03:08 AM   #79
Leighanne
Alright.

I put her back last night with a few cozy adjustments. I have used four different hides with her thinking she didn't like the first two or the other two, thinking I had something wrong there. She is in her shallow 28 qt. now, her temps right now at night are hot side 90, cool side 85. She has her two favorite hides, both the small ones of course. The small log she crams herself into and the small shallow dish. I put my two layers of newspaper across the floor and she WILL crawl under those to. I also tried something a little new and took one page of newspaper ripped it in half and it it makes a nice hiding layer under her dish hide and the other piece beside her log that shadows her and she can crawl into. An back to the same white handtowel I put over her hides so she not being "watched." AND I taped a floded towel to the front of the tub so theres to be NO eye contact between the two of us. She still gets the sunlight in from the sides but she just doesn't have to see me. It actually looked pretty cozy I was pretty proud of myself. If I could of fit in there I would of curled up and gone to sleep myself!! VERY cozy. Other then the two favorite hides and crunched up newspaper nothings different. Its what I've always done.

I think I understand what your saying HHMoore. Like humans. I am one that gets cold easily. I could sit in a classroom with the window open and everybody would be waving their folders at their face and I'd be sitting there shivering, so I pretty much have to find her "comfortable" temp. Which might just be cooler. I've had her since last Fall, this is the warmest Ohio season at least I know shes been in. I'll keep it as is for the next week and try an ft adult Mice (as usual) if she doesn't eat I'll wait another week and that week I'll turn the Thermostat down a little and then try the same thing again. If still nothing keep the temps the same and then try the Rat or just scent the Mouse. Pet Ratties come in handy. I am REALLY disappointed my Fiancee couldn't find the Pet Store today. I think I shall rip his flesh from his face for such blasphemies. JK (Hes really lucky hes cute.)

An since you suggested it HHMoore would YOU care to be my one person. Maybe 15 minutes a week on my feeding night? I'm not a stalker and I won't bug you but you suggested it and it would help, work out a lot. No long chats just a whats her temps and what did you try this time and then maybe I can throw some ideas out there and you can share some insight. We could do this here on a Thread by all means. I want my posts to be helpful and informative to other Herpers feeling lost in the same situation but the problem with Threads is skimmers. DIRTY SKIMMERS!! Ugh, I'm not mad I do it to and totally understand but I don't like the circles skimming can cause.

So alright its late and I have had NO sleep, what do you guys think?? At least try and stay here with me HHMoore, PLEASE, your making the MOST sense to me and I trust your wisdom, experience, etc. Anyway Thanks a lot guys. I'll keep updated every week until I get this brat to eat again! She is SO lucky shes quit the cutie!

Old 05-04-2007, 03:36 AM   #80
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighanne
I put her back last night with a few cozy adjustments. I have used four different hides with her thinking she didn't like the first two or the other two, thinking I had something wrong there. She is in her shallow 28 qt. now, her temps right now at night are hot side 90, cool side 85. She has her two favorite hides, both the small ones of course. The small log she crams herself into and the small shallow dish. I put my two layers of newspaper across the floor and she WILL crawl under those to. I also tried something a little new and took one page of newspaper ripped it in half and it it makes a nice hiding layer under her dish hide and the other piece beside her log that shadows her and she can crawl into. An back to the same white handtowel I put over her hides so she not being "watched." AND I taped a floded towel to the front of the tub so theres to be NO eye contact between the two of us. She still gets the sunlight in from the sides but she just doesn't have to see me. It actually looked pretty cozy I was pretty proud of myself. If I could of fit in there I would of curled up and gone to sleep myself!! VERY cozy. Other then the two favorite hides and crunched up newspaper nothings different. Its what I've always done.

I think I understand what your saying HHMoore. Like humans. I am one that gets cold easily. I could sit in a classroom with the window open and everybody would be waving their folders at their face and I'd be sitting there shivering, so I pretty much have to find her "comfortable" temp. Which might just be cooler. I've had her since last Fall, this is the warmest Ohio season at least I know shes been in. I'll keep it as is for the next week and try an ft adult Mice (as usual) if she doesn't eat I'll wait another week and that week I'll turn the Thermostat down a little and then try the same thing again. If still nothing keep the temps the same and then try the Rat or just scent the Mouse. Pet Ratties come in handy. I am REALLY disappointed my Fiancee couldn't find the Pet Store today. I think I shall rip his flesh from his face for such blasphemies. JK (Hes really lucky hes cute.)

An since you suggested it HHMoore would YOU care to be my one person. Maybe 15 minutes a week on my feeding night? I'm not a stalker and I won't bug you but you suggested it and it would help, work out a lot. No long chats just a whats her temps and what did you try this time and then maybe I can throw some ideas out there and you can share some insight. We could do this here on a Thread by all means. I want my posts to be helpful and informative to other Herpers feeling lost in the same situation but the problem with Threads is skimmers. DIRTY SKIMMERS!! Ugh, I'm not mad I do it to and totally understand but I don't like the circles skimming can cause.

So alright its late and I have had NO sleep, what do you guys think?? At least try and stay here with me HHMoore, PLEASE, your making the MOST sense to me and I trust your wisdom, experience, etc. Anyway Thanks a lot guys. I'll keep updated every week until I get this brat to eat again! She is SO lucky shes quit the cutie!
Hope it works out for you! Youll get her feeding... eventually....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!