Asian Vine - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-23-2007, 11:55 AM   #1
mambaman
Asian Vine

Well i'v been considering getting an asian vine snake. I'v owned 4 snakes before Milk snake, Ball python, Suriname/Hogg, and a Colombian. I have alot of Copperheads around my house so I have some experience with venomous snakes I relocate the copperheads so they're not killed. So do you guys think im ready for a hot. I found some Asian Vines from Off the Ark for 40 dollars good price? I'v done a little research on Vine snakes but if I decide to get one i will do alot more. If an Asian Vine isnt a good choice what is i'd like to try a hot. But I dont want anything that can be lethal.

Thanks,

Old 05-23-2007, 06:11 PM   #2
CrotalusCo
Well Im not ranting but i want to mention a few things. First i dont recommend anyone start moving into HOTS without a mentor or experienced keeper that can help you out. I also highly recommend getting a lockable caging system and your handling equipment first. Hooks forceps tubes, pressure bandage and the like. If you are serious spend more time on good venomous forums and you will learn many tricks and specialized tools of the trade.

Ok as for Asian Vines. Well these arent all that nippy. However the problem is they dont do well and tend to die on people. Even experienced keepers.

Good starter, well everyone debates this all the time but the snake recommended by most would be the snake you have close to you. Coppers are great snakes and highly under valued. And with the new morphs and patterns coming available this might be a good time to get into them

Best bet is to get something native so local antivenin supply is avail

Other good choices might be

mangrove snake
some rattlesnakes
Northern pacific
Hopi
Pygmy
sidewinder "if eating"
speckleds "if feeding"
cerastes cerastes "This one will be debated by many"

Old 05-23-2007, 07:18 PM   #3
Tim Cole
Ditto!

I second what Dan said. Get a mentor and a hardier snake.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:38 PM   #4
mambaman
Ok thanks guys. You guys have been of much help. I think I may try Venomous.org I'v got a hook right now but I know I should probally get more than just one hook.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:22 PM   #5
CrotalusCo
Another hook would not hurt. I have 1 in the truck and let me count -- 5 here in the snake room. Now you wont need 5 but I always find them mis layed when i need them.

Depending on the species you end up with mind you. I recommend a good 18-20" hook for cage work and a good 36-40" hook for field and hot room work. But in reality you will use the hook that is sized best for the snake you are using it on.

There are many hook makers out there making them of different materials and sizes. They all work well and the choice you will use will come from both habit and the one you like the feel of. Most of mine are from Midwest, i know Tim likes animal capture. Both will do the job. At the last Hamburg I found a custom hook that was amazingly light and strong and when I went back to buy it -- of course it was gone.

This is also where a mentor will help. You can get some hook time with various species under experienced supervision. Try out the different sizes and styles of hook to see what you like. And of course get some ideas from his custom tools. Any long term HOT keeper has a variety of custom tools he/she has made to do various jobs.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:24 PM   #6
mambaman
My hook is Midwest and 41" The problem is I live in South East Missouri. There are not many snake owners around. I dont know of any Hot owners except Zoo's. I found a guy about 40 miles away from me who might have hots im not sure im goin try to contact him and get some pointers. Hows the bite from a Mangrove?

Thanks,

Old 05-23-2007, 10:32 PM   #7
Tim Cole
Finley Valley Serpentarium...

How far are you from Ozark, Missouri?

Old 05-23-2007, 10:45 PM   #8
mambaman
Probally roughly 100 or 150 Miles. I think i'v been they're before

Old 05-24-2007, 08:33 AM   #9
mambaman
I was thinking of the wrong town lol. Im only about 100 from Ozark thats by Springfield right?

Old 05-24-2007, 08:58 AM   #10
Tim Cole
It is...

Maybe you could contact them about mentoring?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!