Scaleless Puff Adder - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-18-2006, 08:55 PM   #1
Junkyard
Scaleless Puff Adder

This was pointed out to me in another forum, the ad is up on Kingsnake:
http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=40&de=379027

Here is a picture of the snake from the ad, looks pretty cool to me. Has anyone seen this before? Is this a known gene trait, or a defect?

Old 01-18-2006, 08:56 PM   #2
Junkyard
Whoops, that is a little big, sorry. Well, at least you can see the snake up close.

Old 01-18-2006, 09:39 PM   #3
hhmoore
I'll agree that it looks kinda neat. But all the skin folds make it look wrong...like it is underweight

Old 01-18-2006, 11:24 PM   #4
Junkyard
Kind of looks furry.

Old 01-19-2006, 11:49 AM   #5
BWSmith
A pair of them? Oh god, please don't let this be genetic.

Old 01-19-2006, 06:53 PM   #6
psilocybe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWSmith
A pair of them? Oh god, please don't let this be genetic.
There is supposedly a guy in Europe who exclusively breeds scaleless snakes...rattlesnakes I believe. I'm fairly positive this trait is genetic, and since BOTH of these scaleless puffs are CB, I'd venture that they are siblings and were bred for lack of scales.

Irresponsible and downright wrong in my opinion. While scaleless snakes can certainly live complete lives, they often have many problems with shedding and other skin problems...

Old 01-19-2006, 09:07 PM   #7
Junkyard
It makes me wonder if the cages need to be a bit different, with no scales, it seems they would be more susceptible to cuts and scrapes.

Old 01-20-2006, 04:33 PM   #8
psilocybe
The ad was updated today with this:

Quote:
The sale fell through, so these beautiful snakes are once again available. Yes, it is genetic. We will offer them to you for 4500.00 for the pair.
As I surmised, this is a genetic trait, and one that in my opinion, should not be bred out any further...At the very least, these specimens (and their offspring) should NOT EVER be bred to any normal looking snakes...we don't need het for scaleless snakes polluting captive gene pools.

Old 01-22-2006, 10:18 PM   #9
JDSReptilesINC
But hey just like with Ball Pythons, someone will think it is going to make them rich!!!! In my opinion, they should be in the freezer.

Old 01-23-2006, 03:28 AM   #10
MiqeMorbid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLVenom
But hey just like with Ball Pythons, someone will think it is going to make them rich!!!! In my opinion, they should be in the freezer.
I couldn´t agree more. What is it whith people anyway! Why does some people have to try to breed "freaks"? What´s wrong with normal animals?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!