So. California Crittering - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:44 AM   #1
WaterDawg
So. California Crittering

Had an unbelievable day of snake finding in April. Went looking in a rocky hillside area in Riverside, figuring it was about time for stuff to be getting really active. My nephew and I came upon an old garage door that had been dumped and clearly hadn't been disturbed in a while, as it was becoming grown into the dirt and weeds. It took both of us to lift the board, and then the fun began. Under this one piece of cover were: 2 adult red diamond back rattlesnakes, a 4' gopher snake, a 4' red coachwhip, and a night snake. It was a fire drill to say the least, as we tried not to get bit while trying to catch snakes at the same time. The coachwhip and night snake (rear-fanged) escaped before we could grab them and get pictures, but below are pictures of the other snakes. A few feet away, another board held a little dark colored snake we can't identify. Anyone know what it is? Its the next-to-last picture below. A little later, about a mile away, we found a coastal phase california king snake. All snakes were released.
I've spent all night driving desert roads and found fewer snakes than we found under one old door.

Kevin

Old 06-10-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
George J. Ward
The little dark colored snake looks to be a juvenile coachwhip. They are very similar to the racers as you know and that one looks just like a juvenile clouber constrictor priapus or clouber constrictor constrictor. Coachwhips and racers change as they mature to their adult colors. Where are you from originally if you don't mind me asking?? Do you have any interest or have been to S.Florida to collect?? If not look me up. I can take you all over here to catch all kinds of crazy stuff(exotics). I am a state licensed trapper as well as licensed to sell,possess and exhibit reptiles and amphibs.My name is George and you can contact me anytime@georgeward7416@yahoo.com or call(772-240-3456) I would love to go to Cali to collect. I have been from Canada to Key West and from the east coast, west and s.w. to s.w.Texas,Mexico,and I was the first person ever approved by the Puerto Rican government to catch and remove the green iguanas there.Hit me up my fellow field collector! Thanx Geo! Yep Coachwhip!

Old 06-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
amtz.zero
Cool snakes. I live very close to you, in Moreno Valley. Last night I went road cruising in the High Desert and found 3 Mojave Green Rattlesnakes (Crotalus scutulatus), 1 Speckled Rattlesnake (Crotalus mitchelli pyrrhus), and 1 desert phase California Kingsnake. It was a pretty awesome night. The only snake I didn't see, that I was hoping to see, was a sidewinder.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
George J. Ward
Sounds like you had a good night.Keep catching n good luck out there.Also when looking for sidewinders,look first thing in the A.M. and you should be able to find them out basking in the morning sun. This time of year is good to find them in the a.m. or p.m. . Early evening just an hour before sunset to just after dark. Post photos if you get any would love to see them.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:44 PM   #5
WaterDawg
Hey George thanks I had a feeling that was a juvenile coachwhip, based on the eyes and shape of the head, but the color threw me. It was the first one that young I have seen. The red coach is pretty common around here. They usually bite when you grab them, if you can grab them, they are very fast. By no means are all herping trips as successful as that day was. I am from California have never been to Florida, but would love to take you up on your offer some time.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:46 PM   #6
WaterDawg
Adriel, that was a pretty good night. Try Whitewater road for sidewinders, I hear they are common there. It is real close to Moreno Valley. Also Borrego Springs has lots of sidewinders. Where did you see the Mojave Greens?

Kevin

Old 06-11-2011, 01:30 AM   #7
born2ride#56
In the desert red racers are bright bright red here there realy ugly dark! Looks like a good find! Can I ask what streets/fwy you were off? I have no good spots around here!!!

Old 06-11-2011, 04:04 AM   #8
amtz.zero
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDawg View Post
Adriel, that was a pretty good night. Try Whitewater road for sidewinders, I hear they are common there. It is real close to Moreno Valley. Also Borrego Springs has lots of sidewinders. Where did you see the Mojave Greens?

Kevin
The Mojave Greens were found up in the High Desert in the Barstow area. They were literally everywhere. A lot of dead ones on the road though.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:15 AM   #9
George J. Ward
Hey Kevin,Glad I could help.I have been doing field collecting for years.The first time I brought a snake in the house I was 3 and I am almost 50 now. I have done tons of reptile shows.I have collected in Canada,N.Y.,Pa.,N.J.,Del.,Va.,Ky.,Tenn.,N.C.,S.C., Ga.,Ill.,Ind.,Missouri,Kansas,La.,s.w.Texas,Fla.,M exico and Puert Rico. I was the first person ever to be approved by the Puert Rican government to catch the green iguanas there and ship them back to Florida and may be going back soon to teach some of the guys there how to catch the iguanas in numbers. You have never been down here in the swamps huh?? Groovy,you get the chance come on down bro,you'll be in for one helluva treat.Keep herpin and send out some more pics of your catch and if you e-mail me @georgeward7416@yahoo.com I will download some pics of the stuff I catch here.Iggys,Red Head agamas,mex.black spineytail iggys,cuban anoles,crested anoles,jamaican anole, ameivas,brown basilisk,and a buuttload of others here.You would really enjoy herpin here and I know the majority of spots where everything is at!! Hit me up bro! GEO!

Old 06-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #10
WaterDawg
Hey Devan I was in the Box Springs area rocky foothills east of UC Riverside. I am not an expert on that area, just decided to give it a go and got really lucky. The area does look very snaky though. The Box Springs Mountain Park area is basically suburban, so if you go collecting please don't decimate the reptile population. I practive CPR; Catch, Photo, Release. Good Luck

Kevin

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!